Simple mindset trick to transform how you see your blood sugars

There is a lot of conversation about what should be the appropriate diabetes language should use to talk about diabetes, and the one that Adam explains sooooo great in this post is one of my favorites. People often perceive their blood sugar results as a test, they either pass it or fail it, this causes a huge problem and hurdle for their management.

https://diatribe.org/blood-sugars-are-not-tests

1 Like

I totally agree with Adam Brown on this notion. Here’s my mindset regarding blood glucose data. If I’m in range, I take full and generous credit for such agile management.

On the other hand, if it’s out of range, then the number assumes the look of data, simply a signpost, to suggest a direction or tactic to pursue. An out of range number is neither bad nor good but it is useful!

2 Likes

When I’m in range I’m glad. When I’m too high I’m pissed. When I’m low I get carbs

3 Likes

His basic point is true and unarguable; I just wish he would express himself a bit more accurately. He says, for instance:

No pilot in the world views GPS readings as a value judgment: “You are a bad pilot.”

Oh, really? Their examiners sure do. There’s plenty of this kind of overly simplistic explanation. I wish there were more semantic rigor in his writing precisely because what he says IS so true.

He is absolutely right about these numbers being data points. And he is also right that the more we get, the easier it is to make good decisions. It is simply a realistic and pragmatic view of what these numbers represent.

I have adopted a similar view towards food and eating in general. I always want to enjoy my meal, but sometimes diabetes demands food when that may not be my first choice. I still must eat. Because, food is medicine and I must take the appropriate medication in the appropriate dosage at the appropriate times. This has helped me an awful lot in sticking with effective eating habits.

In my opinion, my meter, my diet, insulin and exercise create the equation I use in response to my meter and in order to eat to my advantage. This keeps my surprise meter readings to a minimum.

2 Likes

I just finished reading his book. Highly recommended.

I also got some helpful information from his book and have meet him a number of times at different conferences. But I will say I understand language is very important for many but when you’ve been doing it for a long time, change is hard.
I know it’s just a number and I no longer beat myself up for one that is out there, but I do still say test. I have to test my blood sugar. I know it’s a simple change but for most of my life it has been test, whether blood or urine or lab work. It is test. But it doesn’t bother me and I think that is the key for each of us. Whatever works for you.
And I know opening a huge can of worms here, I also don’t mind diabetic vs person with diabetes. Again, I think it’s how long you may have been doing this, but I don’t worry about the “label”: