Simponi

Simponi is a medication used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) and Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS). It is a well regarded TNF inhibitor. recently the FDA approved a long awaited trial for use of Sompini in recently diagnosed T1’s. The trial is described on the FDA Clinical Trial web site at this link ( NCT02846545 ).

The study is currently recruiting and the estimated enrollment is 81 and the appropriate ages for enrollment is 6 to 21. If people are interested they should go to this website to check qualifications.

https://jnj-pam.sylogent.com/scr/Home.aspx?CR108187

I have used Simponi for RA with good outcomes. I do not know if this area will pan out for beta cell preservation in T1’s, but I know if one of my grandchildren were diagnosed today I would do all I could to enroll them in hopes of slowing down or stopping the destruction of insulin beta cells.

note: I have no financial interest in Simponi or Janssen who is the manufacturer of Simponi. I do happily serve with other RA patients on a patient advisory board for Janssen called Joint Decisions. Joint Decisions is a vehicle to discuss life with RA. At joint Decisions meetings we never discuss manufacturers and in fact, I currently use a different RA medicaiton. Since I have T1 diabetes (43 years) and RA, I tend to look for trials like this whenever I can.

2 Likes