Site Accuracy

For those finding good success with CGMs, are you finding a correlation between your sensor site and its accuracy? I’ve had mine for about a month and a half and am still strugling a bit with accuracy. I know, I’ve got a few things to work on, tips from other threads such as trying to calibrate when BGs are consistent (e.g. when the trend graphs are flat) and trying to calibrate more than twice per day. I am finding better success using my abdomen versus the old love handles, even I’ve got similar fat layers in both areas. I also notice that when inserting the sensor in my abdomen, it almost never bleeds. When inserting on my side, it bleeds a little, but I think its within the range of normal bleeding expected from these devices.

I hear that fatty areas are better than leaner areas. Do you find this to be true for you? Any other thoughts or advice?

I calibrate about 3 times a day. Right now my sensor is about 4 inched to the right of my BB. I personally find that the sensor is more accurate after day 2. My first day Isig was around 6-8. Today it is 17 so it takes some time to get wet. I always calibrate it right when I get up in the morning, before coffee, food and pills!

I find lean areas just too uncomfortable it feels like you are getting poked all the time. Once I get my sensor going I IV3000 tape it so that it does not move and then I wear it for the next 15 plus days because I can’t stand the setup process and no matter what that needle is still big even though I am used to it.

I use the Minimed sensor and have learned a lot. Fattier areas work much better so that there is enough fluid flowing around the sensor. The Minimed actually has three sensors and one is almost at the hub. It was originally told to go at about a 45 degree angle but more than that works much better so that the third sensor also has enough fluid. I insert my new sensor the night before I am due to change. In the morning, I remove the old sensor, charge my transducer and reconnect. I use one square of TP to “prop up” the transducer and then use the IV3000 to keep everything dry and secure. Even the first day is very accurate and probably 90-95% of the time the sensor and meter are within only a few mg/dl of each other. There is definitely a learning curve. Hope some of these little tricks are helpful for you.

Thanks Donna for the Tp trick!!! … i brought some along when i went in to my cde’s office for my first cgm setup training and she totally looked at me like i was an alien, LOL… but i swear it works… cuz lo and behold the place where i inserted the sensor on my belly was leaning on a curve and without the tp to prop up the transmitter, the sensor cannula would otherwise be rocking back and forward in and out of skin! … it really helps…especially when you are putting in the sensor at an angle greater than 45 degrees… (which most of us smart people will do, lol) … you want that sensor to stay into the skin Angled! but if you attach the transmitter to it, and push and hold the transmitter down against the skin like such as with taping it down with IV3000, it causes the sensor to lift up and out of the skin some. i’m thinking they could have just made the transmitter a little bit thicker and that would solve this problem of it flapping to the wind. i took the one single sheet of TP and just folded it up into a one inch square…just big and thick enough to fit nicely under the transmitter.

question for you… so when you put in the new sensor the night before… without attaching the transmitter… and go to sleep with it like that… do you just tape up the lil sucker real good and cover it all up with IV3000 so that it doesn’t move while you sleep?? and then take off the tape in the morning to conect the transmitter??.. and then retape it all??? … i mean cuz i like the idea of letting it soak overnight… that sounds like a genious way of saving time, !!!.. i just want to know more specifically how you keep the sensor down in place all its lonesome while you’re sleeping?

THANK YOU so much for the tip on propping up the transmitter to work with the larger angle.

I don’t know that I would have thought of that one on my own. Haha. So far I’ve found that my upper abdomen works best for the sensor, but that part of my stomach curves so the transmitter isn’t quite flush with my skin.

My last one wasn’t in well and slid in and out a lot I could tell. I just changed sensors and propped it up with a thin slice I cut out of a makeup sponge. First thing I thought of that would hold up to my sweating… XD