Sleep and D

I’m a mom to a pre-schooler with D. I’m wondering if those of you with D can tell me…does it effect your sleeping?

We are really having a bad time getting Isabelle to sleep all night since her diagnosis. I have learned to expect her to wake up when her BS is higher then 220 at night. The other night she woke up around 2:30am and didn’t go back to sleep until I finally made her take a nap around 10:00am (not that I didn’t try before that). It is absolutely making me crazy and it can’t be good for her. Just wondering if anyone has any advice.

I really don’t have any advice for you, but I believe bgs fluctuations truly do effect our sleep. I guess my only advice would be to get her bgs into the normal range. Omg, I can’t believe I just said that to another diabetic and worse yet to a mother of a diabetic.

I guess I would like to know what type of insulin Isabelle is on and how her insulin is delivered schedule wise, etc.

Oooo by the way she sure is cute. :slight_smile:

LOL! Thanks Karen.

Yeah…we always make sure she is within range (80-180) before she goes to bed. We try to make sure she is in the high end of the range before she goes to sleep. She is currently on Humalog and Lantus. She gets Humalog with each meal and the Lantus before she goes to bed.

Lisa,

Sounds like you have it under great control and I guess you should be grateful she wakes up when she is out of wack bgs wise, but then I bet when she is not getting enough sleep that leads to a cranky child. Are you correcting the 220 or just letting her ride it out until her next meal?

It has to be so hard for both you and her. Cranky child leads to cranky parents. :frowning:

Yes…cranky child definately leads to cranky parents. I don’t usually correct the 220 in the middle of the night unless she is totally not sleeping. It really is great that she wakes up when her BS is out of wack…it really helps me sleep better. Seems that she always wakes when it is too high or too low. I am really glad that I don’t have that worry that a lot of Moms of children with D have. During the day I do correct if her meal is more then a couple of hours off, but if a meal is near within the next hour or two I don’t correct.

I am starting to think that a lot of the sleeping issues are that she is just feeling a lot less secure since dx. I just don’t know what to do about it. I keep trying to reassure her, but that just isn’t doing it.

Breaks my heart to hear these tales.

Does she wake up then with a normal bgs, if not I would think about correcting maybe 1/2 the dose you normally use.