Sleep schedules question

I use the Sleep Schedule activity mode on my Tandem t:slim. Currently I only have one of the two schedules defined, 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., and that has made my overnights very good.

But I read here and elsewhere that some people keep Sleep turned on all the time. First: do you do this manually? I.e., turn on Sleep and never turn it off? I can try that and see how it works for me.

Or do you have one of the two schedules set up for 24 hours? And here’s my puzzlement: I can’t define Sleep Schedule 2 any way I want. I wanted to define it for 24 hours, or nearly so. But, as I read the error messages, the schedule I try to define for schedule #2 can’t overlap AT ALL with the one defined in schedule #1! Tandem’s video on Sleep Schedules seems to state that as well. This seems crazy to me, and I’m wondering how I’m misinterpreting the process. Why in the world can’t you have overlaps? After all, you’re not going to be running both schedules at once (right?).

I guess it’s gonna take me a couple more years to get all this technology figured out…

–Keith

Yes turn it on manually and keep it on. Delete your schedule or it will go off in the mornings.
I’ve used sleep schedule for many weeks at a time. It will never bolus for you so you need to be aware of that.
It works great for me except when I didn’t count my carbs correctly.

So I use a schedule 8 pm until noon the next day. I hardly eat much breakfast and dosing it is easy.
I let the algorithm help out for lunch and dinner, then it’s off again.
My last a1c was 5.5. That’s about as good as it gets on this system. If you want to aim into the 4 range, the pump won’t support that, at least for now where we can’t change targets.

I personally don’t have any use for default Control-IQ. It’s just too little, too late in my opinion. It leaves you completely to own devices between 112-160, and I’ve got all my alarms to go off at 140, so I can decide if I need to do a correction bolus before I ever get to 160. There’s just zero chance I’m ever going to wait until I’m at 180 to give a correction bolus. So for my needs, sleep mode around the clock is nearly perfect. (I do wish I didn’t have to choose between the tighter target range and automatic correction boluses, but I can’t help that at the moment.)

I know that’s not “typical”, though, and that many diabetics would be happy to have more time in range in general and that any effort to minimize highs helps because the “typical” insulin-dependent diabetic is bouncing around like a ping pong ball. I get it. I just want better for myself, trying to get the best I can out of my remaining life.

I do use the sleep schedule, but it’s programmed for 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM everyday of the week. It’s mostly just a catchall because sometimes I turn Control-IQ off (like when I intentionally pre-bolus and it decides to suspend my basal, defeating the effort), and I forget to turn sleep mode back on when I re-engage Control-IQ later. At worst case scenario, it will turn sleep mode back on at midnight and leave it on. I usually notice long before that, though, after a frustrating poorly-controlled dinner. In retrospect, I should probably adjust my schedule to something earlier, like 8:00 PM to 7:59 PM.

Actually and unfortunately if you turn off Control IQ, Sleep Mode will not re-engage automatically even if you have a schedule. You have to turn it back on. I find this surprising but it is true. Based on personal experience. :grinning:

2 Likes

I do the same, 1 schedule.

The option for 2 schedules is helpful if you want different sleep hours for different days, for example weekday and weekends. So both schedules are “active” and used based on which day of week it is.

But for 24 hour sleep, all days, just need 1.