Sleeping with a pump

Getting fitted wth the Revel 723 with CGM two weeks and am worried about sleeping with it on. Any tips or advice for not getting tangled up in it?

Bacail,

It is really easy. I have slept with one since day one and that was almost 10 years ago. Here is what you do. Place the pump beside you, and you will not get tangled. I also clip it on any piece of clothing you might be wearing. Finally when you turn over, It will somehow, magically, move with you. I cannot explain it, I know it seems incredible, but somehow I move it with me all night.

I get the idea, that you might be considering not sleeping with it. You really cannot take it off for that period of time. Your blood sugar will soar, unless you cover against it and that is very difficult if not impossible without going very high or very low. Trust me this will work out.

By the way, you will love the pump. Good luck you will love the medtronic!!!

Go with long tubing

I keep mine clipped to the waistband of my shorts (ok, underwear, TMI? eeek, we are mostly grown-ups I think?). The Medtronic CGM doesn't much like to be away from the sensor/ transmitter and I lose the signal a lot when I don't have it hung on me, pretty much on the same side the sensor is in.

I have only had my pump for about a week now, but have no trouble sleeping with it. I was worried at first thinking that it would get tangled/pulled out but so far so good. Being a side sleeper I simply clip it on the center of the back waistband of my shorts and just let the tube go where it will. I was aware of it the first night, but don't notice it at all anymore. Best of luck, I'm sure you will love the pump!

This was my biggest concern as well before I got my pump - it's really no big deal. If you don't want to clip it to whatever you're wearing, there are thinks like spibelts available - belts with a pouch for the pump. I like wearing mens sleep shorts with pockets, or scrubs.

This was a concern for me when I first got my pump and it turned out not to be an issue at all. I don't have a CGM but as for the pump- I just clip it onto my shorts or sometimes even my shirt collar.

I wear PumpWear Inc cute sleepwear boxer shorts. They have a pocket specifically for pumps.

I get the longest amount of tubing, and then I just tuck it under my pillow. I move around a lot when I sleep, turn over and back many times, and it rarely gives me problems. I think the long tubing is the key. Good luck! You'll figure out what works best for you!

This was a big concern of mine when I first got my Medtronic 722 four years ago. I am now on a 723 and eagerly looking forward to whatever the next Medtronic Paradigm pump will be called. It may be different for men and women as well, but what I found (and continue to find) works best for me is to sleep in a t-shirt that has a breast pocket. I use the smaller clip (not the holster although that would work too) and I use the infusion sets with the longer, 32" tube so I can easily reach that pocket regardless of where I have the set placed on my body. My experience has been that letting the pump "float" in the bed is not great. Even though I'm attached to the thing nearly 365/24/7, it is very easy to forget about it when getting out of bed in the middle of the night to hit the bathroom, take care of a nighttime hypoglycemic episode, etc.