Sliding scale

My endo’s office is actually in the hospital that he has rights at. Should I have the luxury of choosing to be hospitalized at THAT hospital, in the event that I need it, his team has a CDE that deals specifically with in-patient care – precisely to provide the type of continuation of care that we’re discussing here.

Unfortunately, my PCP and other doctors are all part of a different hospital system, so I hope I never have the “opportunity” to test out the system…

Interesting conversation. At the last two hospitals, that I was at in the past few years, I was allowed to pick my food and to control my own diabetes. They did insist on doing the bg tests at one, despite my wearing CGM. But my pump usage seemed to get me the official “do it yourself” nod.

Syringes/injectors seem to cross a threshold for them that pumps don’t, god knows why.

2 Likes

Actually, my guess would be that it’s because the pump has those troublesome ICR/AIT/etc patient settings already programmed into it and does its own bolus calculations, so they aren’t responsible for any of that.

2 Likes

Now… wouldn’t it be nice if hospital meals actually had nutrition data with them???

4 Likes

I have had T1D for 33 years now and my doses are different every day. I control 90% of my diabetes with Diet and Exercise so depending what exercise I did that day and what food I am eating will determine how much insulin I take. “so I customize my scale to fit me”. Currently eating a Keto Diet and using 20 units of latus every night and approximately 7-11 units of Novolog throughout the day. Sugars are very level and usually never rise above 130.

1 Like

My mom was hospitalized recently and I was shocked to find that they actually printed the nutritional information for your selections on a receipt. Calories and carbs. Very handy for when I lifted her chocolate pudding. :joy:

3 Likes