Snorkeling and Insulin Pumps

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm going to have to remember my conversion from American blood sugar reading to Canadian lol.

We have emailed DAN to find out if they have any answers as well. My husband has even contacted all his contacts to see what new research has been going on. he is an instructor as well but pumps are fairly new for our area since the government is now paying for them yeah!!

We plan on diving mostly cold water (1000 island area) we live like 10 mins from awesome diving. So it will be interesting to see how things will play out. I hate trying trial and error but I guess its one of the main ways to figure this out lol.

Excellent advice

The British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) put out some really good guidelines for diving with Diabetes. This was several years ago, at a time when PADI and others had very little advice. I would try Googling BSAC and diving or SCUBA.

Cold water?? Personally the ideal of diving anywhere that I have to wear more than a 5mm wetsuit doesn't appeal.

I love that you have worked this out and that you’re enjoying diving. :ok_hand:

This is an old thread, but I love snorkeling!

I am a type 1 on a Dexcom and Omnipod. I do wear my Dexcom on my arm and wrap it with an ace bandage, submersion for the 60 minutes I snorkel really loosens up the adhesive, but with an ace bandage wrapped around it I don’t have to worry about losing it, plus once it isn’t continuously in water it starts to adhere back to my arm. I can add some Skin Tac if needed after it drys out. And since it is the ocean and sand is in the water the ace bandage helps to keep from getting sand into it.

The Omnipod works really well for snorkeling as I do a 50% temp basal reduction starting a half hour before I start and do it for a total of 2 hours. This has worked out to stop me from going too low while snorkeling and also stops me from going too high. I do have a tendency to start out about 20-30 points above my normal range. I carry a hypo treatment in a waterproof container when I go out just in case.

Snorkeling is wonderful exercise and fairly easy to do and very relaxing!!!

Now if someone could design a CGM you could read while snorkeling it would be great!

We went to Playa del Carmen Mexico with our two sons over Christmas week, and we did some snorkeling. I have Type 1, as does my younger son, 33 years.
When I used the Dexcom G5, I used each sensor for two to three weeks, and the adhesive did not last that long. This was before there were commercial overpatches, and I learned from a youtube video how to use opsite flexifix to make my own overpatches.
When I switched to the G6, I started using SkinTac before sensor insertion and found I did not need the overpatches.
On our snorkeling expeditions last month, we covered the G6 sensors with overpatches and the sensors stayed place just fine.

2 Likes