So depressed

So on 5/13 I had my glucovance increased. The dr was appauled that I had been on such a low dose. The low dose hadn’t been doing much. He raised me to glucovance 5/500 2 pills twice a day. They make me horridly sick. With the low dose I had some side effects but they went away after a few days. These were not going away and after the first week my sugar kept dropping very low ( 40’s and 50’s) for no apparent reason. There was a 24 hour period where it just would not stay up no matter what I ate. My husband came home from work that day and found me collapsed on the floor with my youngest 3 kids sitting around me ( 5, 3 and 18 months). The next day I called the office and told them I couldn’t handle the side effects.The nurse called back hours later asking what my sugars have been. I told her they are still fluctuating and while most of my fastings were ok I was dropping very low after lunch and was still 150-400 in the evening. She called back the next day and said the dr wanted to see me. I went in yesterday as he didn’t have any appointments left last week.
When I got on the scale I cried. I gained 7 lbs since the 13th. And my weight then had been 6 lbs higher than it ever had been before. When I saw my weight last time it was a little upsetting. I made steps over the last 2 weeks to eat healthier ( less carbs and sugar and more exersize) I had been walking 1-2 miles about 3 times a week ( i wanted to every day but its so hard with 5 kids). I knew I must have lost something cause I was fitting in a pair of my older jeans again. So when I saw my weight yesterday I cried. My blood pressure was low (90/70). The dr was mean. He usually has an atitude problem when he first is reviewing the chart but then he is normal. Not yesterday. He told me he now wants me walking 3 miles a day every day no exceptions. He said I can not eat any carbs sugar or fat. Ever at all. Which I was never told I was told I could in moderation and to pay attention to my body. He said 2 hours of excersize every day. He made a mean comment and I replyed with one for him and he said excersizing my mouth does not count.He said not to worry about my BP even though I was sitting there shaking. He did get me an appontment for an endocrinologist however it’s not till mid-september. I have been hospitalized in the past for not eating and “anorexic tendencies”. I have had many people in my life make me feel fat and that I needed to starve myself. However I have never been made to feel that way by a dr. I have not eaten since I was in the office from 5-6 last night. I walked 4 miles when I got home at about 8 last night. It took me about 42 minutes. I don’t know if thats good or not. I have no intention of eating anything as when I look at food I see nothing but blobs of fat. I intend today to do at least 50 situps/crunches. 1 hour of stretching. Walk 4 miles minimum. And try stair climbing. At least 25 times up the stairs in my house. I hope this is enough.

Note:in the hour that has passed since I posted this I did 20 minutes of stretching, 100 crunches, 100 leg lifts, climbed the stairs 4 times (52 stairs) and walked in place 50 steps. The goal for stair climbing is 300 per day. and the alking in place is for as long as I am comfortable but I will raise it to jogging and will raise to at least 1/2 hour.

That’s crazy. You need a different doctor, I’d say. And a diabetes coach.

Your doc sounds abusive, and you need to make sure you don’t become “exercise anorexic.” Don’t listen to the f’er.

I am so sorry that you have had such a horrible experience. In the first place remember the Dr. works for you not you for him! Being stern with you is one thing but being nasty and abusive is an other. I have to wonder about him if he told you not to include any fat in your food intake. The body requires some dietary fat in order to utilize the fat soluble vitamins. I am not sure how accurate this is but I was told by a doctor that the minimum fat intake per day required by the body was 20gm. You cannot not eat! Not a good thing!!

As of now 5:30 pm I have added another 100 crunches and 100 leg lifts another 20 minutes of stretching and climbed 120 steps total. I am using small mounts of food to reward myself for working out . I have eaten 3 pieces of cheese and a piece of salami. I am tired and have a headache. I am going to walk a few miles tonight after the kids are in bed too.