So I am new to this

I am in the process of removing all grains and most dairy. I am not a crazy Paleo person by any means. I am reading Dr Bernstein and another book called Eat to Live. I think that this may work as a better management technique for me. I currently am jumping into this on an omnipod, with an A1C of 7, a daily carb consumption targeted at around 120 carbs a day by my endo. I am dialing that down to 30-50 targeted with those carbs being veggie based. I am day 3 doing this. First off I am crazy hungry!!! I have NOT decreased my caloric intake at all so that is confusing the heck out of me!!! However my sugar which usually runs around 100-120 all the time has dropped right out the gate to 85-95 all the time. But I am throwing trace keytones? Is this normal? Sorry for the big massive post but very low carb is very new to me.

woops not to say Paleos are crazy but they are REALLY REALLY REALLY into doing Paleo (not to offend if anyone is doing Paleo succesfully)

Releasing ketones (especially right after starting a low carb diet) is normal. This is a process called ketosis or your body is digesting fats and one of the biproducts is a small amount of ketones. If your BG is in normal range than this is not a sign of DKA and you should have nothing to worry about. Sounds like your new diet is doing wonders for your BGs! Congrats.

My son who was recently dx'd type 1 was told by his endo and nutritionist to eat 50-60gms. of carbs per meal. There still is the mindset that a very low carb diet is unhealthy. We decided to follow a low carb approach to bring his bgs down to a safer level. He went from an uncontrolled 9.8 to a 5.3 in about 3 months. Our goal is to keep his levels between 80-90 at all times. It sounds like you are doing terrifically well, right off. I've been following the low carb approach along with my son, although I'm not diabetic. It's actually easier for me because unlike my son I never had strong carb cravings. Perhaps diabetes causes these cravings because the body is starved because it can't properly metabolize glucose. My son is just beginning to get over his craving for the high glycemic carbs. I think if you stick with it you might overcome the "crazy hungry" phase. Increasing the fat in the diet also helps. Even when I wasn't purposely eating very low carb, it was rare that I would eat as much as 50gms. of carbs in a meal. I hope these nutritionists and endos come to their senses.

Yeah I haven’t mentioned it to my endo :slight_smile: I was thinking I’d use good results as justification at the end of the month when I see him :slight_smile:

I started on the Bernstein approach to bring my BGs down and it took about three months for the carb cravings to subside. I really went overboard to start with on his "WASA" thin crackers that he recommends and they satisfied my carb cravings even with the reduced carb count in these. I was easily going through a box of these in less than a week. Now a box lasts me about three weeks. My A1C went down to 5.7 after six weeks and after another three months down to 5.3. I also had to lower the basal levels on my insulin pump. I have learned to make maximum use of my steamer for quick and tasty vegetables and even steam my eggs.

I think you are doing really well and have nothing to worry about. We have a saying -- "YDMV" (Your Diabetes May Vary). Just means that every physiology is distinct, i.e., everyone is different and responds differently to diet, medication, lifestyle, etc.

For instance, Ron said (above) that it took about 3 months for the carb cravings to back off. For me it was more like two weeks. I don't know where that places each of us on the bell curve, but the point is that it does happen. So hang in there -- you're doing great.

In the first three months after I started following Bernstein, my A1c dropped from 7.1 to 5.7. So I think you're also right not to go into this with the endo until you have positive results to show. It's hard to argue with success. Doctors are like everyone else -- they come in all varieties. Some are open minded, some are . . . . uh, otherwise. I have no clue which group yours falls into, but either way, having concrete results to point to will greatly boost your credibility.

For the record, I stay pretty close to Bernstein's target of 30 carbs a day. Don't always hit it on the nose, but usually very close.

I’m a bit worried going to 30 on my pod/pump will send me LOW? That’s why I was thinking of targeting closer in at 50 or so, just out of some pretty intense fear. Are you pumping or MDI? Or oral meds t2?

T2, Metformin and MDI

That is a good start with 50g of carbs daily. It will help you feel confident. I am lucky that I can certainly tell when I am getting to 70 on my meter so as to not get too low. I got down to 50 as my lowest ever and don't want to do that again...sweating, confused, and generally not able to function well. After a couple of months set your goal down to 40gram per day and then gradually work in down to the next level....30 is not a magic number for everyone. We all react as individuals, so don't kick yourself if 30 is not for you....I have only been at this effort of Bernstein's low carb approach since the second week of July. I even reward myself by rarely giving myself permission to eat 50grams in one meal....but adjust the insulin dose to cover it the best I can.

I could not agree more that low carb is the way to go. The cravings will diminish. I have been eating the Bernstein way for about a year now and have seen drastic improvements. The doctors argue with me and insist I eat more carbs but they are totally wrong. We cant have great A1Cs if we eat the amount of carbs they push. I’m much happier with my diabetes now that I’ve figured out how to eat properly. I eat mostly veggies and lean meat. And fish. Also some fruit but I keep the servings under 15 carbs. Even if you loosely follow Bernsteins plan, you will see great results. I’ve had t1 for 25 years now and wish I had this knowledge years ago!! Thankfully I am healthy and have had no complications at all.

Others may have brought this up, but you need to make sure you are upping the number of calories from fat in order to increase satiety on a low carb diet. It was hard for me to put that much butter in the pan with my eggs, but I realized that is key to getting all my daily calories and not feeling hungry. You might want to track what you eat for a few days (I do this every day) using something like myfitness pal to see if you are just under eating. Also, ketones are normal on a very low carb diet.

Yeah I’m trying to use more fats quality proteins ect. I’m trying to get my carbs I do take from dense veggies. I felt better (a little less starving) last night. Still producing small keytones with blood sugars in the 80’s for 24 straight hours so amazing! I’ve never just seen 80’s 80’s 80’s since I honeymooned :). WHY AREN’T ALL DOCTORS PERSCRIBING THIS WHY DID I HAVE TO FIND IT ON MY OWN 13 years later???

I second the comment about fats. I cook practically everything in butter now (well, everything that's done in a frying pan, anyway). Except, of course for things that supply their own fat, e.g., bacon.

As for having to work this out for yourself, all I can say is, "welcome to the club." The establishment -- doctors, educators, old calcified organizations like the ADA, etc. -- are and always have been highly resistant to change.

There are a lot of reasons why that's so, but the fact is that it's just reality.

One reason is simple inertia. The medical establishment clings tightly to its traditional wisdom; when it does change its mind, progress is very slow -- glacial, actually. Anyone who challenges what "everybody knows" is scorned and deprecated as a quack or a charlatan. Back in the day, when Bernstein would stand up at a medical convention and say "diabetics are entitled to normal blood sugars", he would actually get booed.

And there's nothing new about it. Read up on the history of medicine. The giants -- pioneers whose work we just take for granted now -- nearly all came in for ridicule when they first expressed ideas that conflicted with existing belief and practice. Nor is the pattern unique to medicine. It seems to be something basic in human nature. It is what it is.

Some of the less savory reasons are, quite simply, financial. Existing attitudes and practices are responsible for billions of dollars a year in commerce. It's been said many times: "Diabetes isn't a disease -- it's an industry." As one of my more cynical friends characterizes the ADA: "Keeping blood sugars high to support our corporate sponsors."

In any case, what counts is that you were able to get to the truth. We've been told thousands of times that the doctor can advise, but ultimately it's the patient's responsibility to decide what's right for them. You are discovering how painfully true that really is.

A few other favorite fats I use a lot are coconut oil (a medium chain that can be used easily for energy) and macademia nut oil.