So upset &new at pumping

Sorry im so upset my daughetr Kelsie just got out of the hospital lst tue night she went in lst week DKA her insulin pump was not programmed correctly she was only getting 4 hrs not 24 hrs because of this she ended up in icu DKA. We never got the proper pump training the “one” who so called showed us wants 2 do wizard training I said NOway. she is blamming my dauhgter but it was not her or my fault since we didnt know how to change different stuff on the pump we left it alone. Thankfully the diabetes coordinator at the hospital found the error. we want nothing 2 do with this person at the dr office who made the error. we did have a bit more training at the hospital not much but it was better would like further training at the hospital but its not completely covered thru our insurance. a guy from med tronics wasnt much help either sorr im so frustrated

U should have gotten full pump training from Medtronic, along with manuals. Call them at the Medtronic toll-free number and ask them to send you a new trainer,in order to faciltate another training session for you. This is part of the price of the pump that you and your insurance paid for already. You owe it to your daughter to get this training. Many hospitals do provide some pump traning, but it is usually just in affiliation with a CDE ( Certifiied Diabeters Educator), and some insurances, as you mentionerd, only pay a portion of that fee.
You and your daughter, depending on her age, will have to learn how to use the bolus wizard.. That is not an evil thing, it is just the name for the device in the computer software that determines how to give boluses ( the dosages) for her meals and corrections…
. Was she on Multiple daily injections of a short- acting insulin like Humalog long acting insulin such as Levemir or Lantus before she went on the pump? Are you familiar with carb counting and adjusting dosages? Did you have to show that you or your daughter knew how to do this before she got on the pump?

You and she will need to learn how to manage the pump in order to keep her from going through this again.The learning curve is long but YOU Both can do it!!!

God bless,
Brunetta
Type One diabetic 42 years,
Insulin Pumper 6 3/4 years

Things happen! With diabetes life is more eventful.
Do not blame yourself for anything. Thank goodness that nothing more than this happened and you learnt it now.
You can call medtronics and request for another agent to help. You can also get together with other parents through your local jdrf chapter who might be able to help. My daughter is on omnipod and just today her canula came off and she had a hefty dinner for 80 grams of carbs and after 3 hours we discovered that she is so high that her PDM would not even read and got ketones too. I have given her correction now and just praying that everything should be ok. Next few hours will seem so slow. What else can a parent do. We all try our best to the best of our knowledge - be objective and do not get into emotional turmoil.

I agree, first get with medtronics and get properly trained. Then look for the book “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh. I have been diabetic for 45 years, pumping 2 & 1/2. While I do have a wonderful dietician/diabetic educator/dr’s office, they are not always available and this book has helped me many times figure something out. There is a learning curve with the pump, I was not comfortable with all of the settings, when to make changes because of more activity or because of less activity, etc until well over 6 months of regular visits with my diabetic educator/dietician. Now, I wonder why I resisted pumping for so long! Stick with it - pumping is well worth it!

I’m sorry you had to go through this. I’m diabetic for 21 years, pumping for 5 now and I am STILL learning. There are definitely advantages to a pump, ultimately better control, so don’t give up yet. What I suggest is to TEST A LOT. And have her carry an insulin pen with her all the time. Also be aware of the lows that can occur with a pump, they can be so dangerous–that has been my main problem. Hormones, weight loss, life stress, schedule changes, other medications can all affect insulin dosing and will need to be changed accordingly. Hopefully if your daughter was well managed on shots, pumping will be easier. I don’t know how old she is, but if there are a lot of problems, maybe now is not the right time. I didn’t want to go on a pump until I was married, and for me it was the right decision because life calmed down at that stage. Pumping is SERIOUS. Get to another educator if you can. Good luck.