Soaring and never falling

Lately it seems my son is always soaring. No, he's not flying up in the sky like a bird, a plane, and no, especially not Superman. (Though I think he is most definitely SUPER!) His glucose levels are having a hard time understanding they have to come down.

I haven't given them the option of thinking about it. From changing meals to regularly staying on top of everything, I have done pretty much everything I can think of to knock those numbers down. They are frustrating. Each time I check his sugar or he checks it, we look at the glucose meter and it looks back at us with an attitude, saying, "And what?"

It may seem like you keep soaring and flying high like a kite lost in the winds of Spring time. It may even appear that my efforts are lost and you've won, I'm defeated. But, take a good look at me, Type 1 Diabetes. I'm still staring at you everyday when I take care of my son, and every day I will remind you that you do not have permission to remain in his body, and do as you please.

Me? I'm getting wiser, stronger, and bolder in my prayers. I'm learning not only how to manage your uninvited presence, but I am not giving up. You will come down, sooner or later. Every airplane has to land. Every bird needs to find a place to rest. High glucose will have to acknowledge that my son's body is going to respond to the insulin I give him. His body will not resist the insulin. I declare that my son is strengthened and will live a long life.

I am also a mom filled with faith. Not everyone believes the way I do and that's OK. I have enough to share with you. I believe the God of Heaven hears my prayers and the prayers of my family and friends for Jacob, for you, too. Do not despair. Do not give up. Continue to try all you can to bring those sugar levels under control and as you use your medications and diet, try a little bit of faith. It can't hurt. Lord, help those in research find a cure and help it be available for everyone, everyone, Lord. And, God, stretch your hand of healing upon my son, my brothers, and everyone that reads this today, in Jesus name, amen.

Find and Read More Blogs Here: http://diabeticdiarymom.blogspot.com/

Mom-

Keep up the good work! When I was little and through my teen years, we didnt even have glucose testers! There were days I would walk to the local supermarket, buy a pound of caramel, and proceed to eat it all through the afternoon lol. And no, I didnt bolus for it. Back then, it was NPH and Regular, and we only had a vague notion of bolusing for food.

My mother was wonderful. She was in nursing school between my age of like 5-12, so she was aware of diabetes and its care. She always taught me the correct way to do things, and being a woman of faith always kept me in prayer. My mother said her inspiration was Proverbs 22:6...Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. And you know what? Its true. Although in my teens I didnt really take the best care of myself, the training she gave me eventually kicked in.

Today, 47 years later, I have no complications to speak of, and my diabetes is under great control. Just be thankful of the technology we have now that I didnt have when I was your son's age.

Hang in there and remember...TuD is your extended family when things are rough.

Dan

Mr Dan,
What a great testimony of what you have lived and how all is going well. Unfortunately, my two younger brothers also were diabetic in childhood and I remember mom with the NPH and the Unrine Strips for Ketones. YOu're right, that was all they had. But, my mom researched all she could so she could learn and know what to do for them. She changed our entire family meals and the one thing that kept them and all of us going was the faith she modeled and instilled in us as well. Today, your shared verse, faith, and trying what is out there to improve health that keeps us all going. Thank you for sharing. You have one great mom. Thank you!

Not sure what you've tried so far to help your son's insulin resistance, but going gluten and dairy-free has been very helpful to me. I also make sure I exercise regularly - hard exercise at least a few times a week. I'm not sure how you get a small child to do that, especially when the glucose has zapped his energy, but it truly is the best medicine. I also stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I've had this disease for 34 years and at this point have no complication. My mom was big into natural foods, chiropractic care, etc... and I too opt for food that is real. Sometimes I "fall off the wagon" and have to crawl back on again. It doesn't go away; not ever. "I can complain because the rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because the thorn bushes have roses." I wish I knew who wrote that, because it has picked me up and pushed me along for many years. I'm 48 today and can say that I am grateful. This disease has taught/forced me to take better care of myself than many people choose to do.