"Solve the Problem" Game

I really liked Dino’s True & False Game http://tudiabetes.com/forum/topic/show?id=583967%3ATopic%3A148296 thought that was really great fun. Am and was HOPING to try a twist on it, (no clue if it’ll work or not, but hey, no risk, no gain, right???) Here goes…

I will post a ~generic problem~ that I’ve encountered (as a diabetic) before. The NEXT person will solve that problem, using creativity and then ask their own question in turn. The nxt person in line solves the challenge and poses a new one

Please only ~solve~ the latest problem. So along that vein, here goes:

“…Darn, thought I had more ((@#@# strips, arrrrg have to wait til the pharmacy opens tomorrow morning at noon (sic. Sunday)…”

Anyone… (: 9 !!!

Well. I’ve encountered this issue. Here’s what I’d do… I’d ask the following questions:

Do I know anyone in relatively close proximity who might have test strips I could borrow and then give back?

Is there a fire station in the near vicinity? If so - they’ll provide a meter/strips for testing if you enter and ask for them.

Is there a hospital nearby? Again, if you explain the issue, the hospital (especially if they have an endo on staff) should have both meters and strips at their disposal.

I’d also consider my bloodsugar, how much I needed to eat and/or exercise between the time now and the time the pharmacy opens and other factors - to determine how important it is for me to have strips on hand. I might even consider running slightly elevated for the 8-10 hours it might be between the time it is and the time the pharmacy opens…

Now - I add a challenge:

I am constantly challenged by exercise. How does one effectively juggle to avoid dips or elevations in bloodsugar during a one hour cardio/1/2 hour weight training workout when wearing an insulin pump?

They are meant to occur, we have a disease that causes them both The bounce (sic. high) is caused by the lows. The cure is two step, centered around finding a specific basal rate FOR those specific exercises you will be doing regularly…

Maybe decrease basal dose prior to exercise so that you can achieve your “target-trigger” BG level (ie green light) to exercise. Once that level is established you have a higher buffer from which to burn off. Prevent the low during/from exercise and the high (sic bounce) won’t occur either.

Once the exercise session goes smoothly (ie consistantly so), the formula you used becomes a “perminant program” for the pump (for that exercise only).

Now I add a challenge.

Often parents are hard enough to cope with as adults … but when it comes to your diabetes (which they helped you treat as a young kid), in any other respect you are their ADULT child, when it comes to diabetes you are treated like you are somehow 8 again and got caught eating the “birthday cake”… what do YOU do

Stuart