Some interesting T1D research that I am following...

I keep an eye out for interesting articles about T1D research and have put a list of links together:

https://tinyurl.com/diabetes-research-t1d

(link redirects to a Google Sheets workbook)

I read the article titled:
NIDDK Funds Development of Dual Hormone Patch Pump for People with Diabetes
I’m sure I’m missing or misunderstanding something, but the device in this article sounds like an insulin pump that also uses (when necessary) Glucagon for lows. It sounds nice to be able to have the pump do something (other than do “nothing” by stopping delivery) for lows, but with Auto Mode the only time that I ever have lows is when there is a problem with my sensor and I get put in Manual Mode and it uses a basal that may be out of date (the basal was higher than I currently need, I never updated my basal rates because I was using Auto Mode). Therefore, my lows are when the sensor is NOT working, so this device would not be able to help in those scenarios because the sensor is not available it either. But it’s all still in research, and I probably just misunderstood something.

Nope, you’re not misunderstanding but I think there is something about that pump where it will really be an artificial pancreas. Like you don’t have to do anything with it, it just does it all, corrects highs, corrects lows, doses you for food etc. Although I may have misunderstood another comment about it from a different thread on that pump.

I think that may be the part I misunderstood. Auto Mode is intended more for keeping you at a good number when you are already at one (it does give a little more when high, but not nearly as much as a bolus). If this device takes care of food as well, we will be relying on it to basically “predict” our blood glucose levels or detect when we eat. Because insulin is not instantaneous, we do boluses when we eat, so that we can have it act as close to the time the food does. If we wait for the device to detect when our BG goes up, we will most likely being high quite often. This is not to say that they can’t invent so way to have more automation, but it would (I would think) more likely be a faster acting insulin or something that detects our food rather than our BG or SG. But I’m not the researcher or scientist, so whatever way they can find, if it works, I’ll be happy to use it!

I’m pretty sure that you’ll still have to tell it that you are going to eat but not give any carb count etc. since it will have the glucagon if it overdoses you.

I think you are missing my point. My point is that it cannot tell the future. Even if we do tell it we are going to eat, how does it know how much if we don’t give any carb counts? Insulin is only capable of acting so fast, so I suppose with the Glucagon capability it could try to do prebolusing based on your usual schedule and then fix it if you had a different schedule, which would help, but either way it still all relies even more strongly on the sensor than things like the 670G’s Auto Mode does now. I think the two things that need to be researched should be sensor reliability & accuracy and increasing the speed that insulin acts.

Agreed.

Also agree. Btw, I’m not a pumper and even when this device comes to market I’m unlikely to use it either because I scar very easily even from regular injections and I think I would quickly be looking at absorption issues. However I do constantly keep my eyes open for new treatments and possible routes to a cure so this all still interests me even if I don’t plan on using it.

I also read this article and it sounds a lot like the iLet pump that is currently in trials. It uses both insulin and glucagon. I have been watching this one for a long while and am very excited for it. It doesn’t require you to count carbs any longer. You just tell the pump is it a small, regular or large meal. It will learn over time what each means to you. And it will raise or lower your insulin levels based on sensor. I can’t wait for this one to hit the market. Imagine not having to do math calculations before every meal! And not having to think about on board insulin or even having to think about corrections. It does it for you!