Spare a Buck?

Hi. Our team, Charlie's Angels, is gearing up for our fourth JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes. In three walks, we've done very well, raising more than $50,000. Please see our letter over at www.charliewalk.blogspot.com.

I must say, though, asking people to donate money is not much fun. It tends to get very awkward at times despite the fact that it's for such a good cause. It's difficult to seek money from friends who contribute so generously year after year.

It forces us to try new things. Get a little creative. I wanted to do a baby olympics fundraiser, but a doping scandal put an end to that. Lawn dart tournament (with syringes) flopped miserably and not one person signed up for the "Fix my Gutters and Paint my House for Diabetes." People accused me of having ulterior motives.

So, in trying to avoid the awkwardness, I'm attempting a little experiment. How about a buck? One dollar? One franc? One krone? Strength in numbers, right? If you do choose to donate, it must be one dollar, not a penny more. I'm serious. Must be one dollar. If you attempt to give more than one dollar, your diabetes license will be revoked and you will be removed from "my friend" list for at least thirteen business days. No, that wouldn't be a good thing!

Thank you so much.