Spouse/family minimizing T2

i really don't think anyone understands it until your diagnosed and forced to. i was ignorant thinking that only overweight people had diabetes, always thought, really im not fat! how sad is that... then having friends and family to screw the meds and just start eating better and exercising. then i was educated. working 14 hr shifts as a single mom, easier said then done! its really hard to fight the cravings, but after 3 yrs as type 2. im learning how to listen to my body. i know when im in trouble, so i get back on track. good luck everyone, i love hearing that im not alone!

I took just a little bit of offense to this, although I doubt you meant to.

I'd just like to point out that anyone can be an insensitive jerk. Men do not have an exclusive on that one.

It’s not just my spouse it’s my FIL and a friend who has been on the line meaning they want to diagnose him but he doesn’t meet the “Criteria” for a formal diagnosis. It’s not just men I am talking about. But it sure makes it hard when the one that is supposed to stand by you the most is so resistant. I have learned to take control of my own habits and what I eat. If they want to eat a package of donuts then let them.

In spite of what others may feel or think, we must step up and own our condition and learn about it in order to best control it because the life of one, impacts many...yet, I share your frustration. My husband does not share much in learning about diabetes at all and perhaps that is his way of not stressing. I think he cares yet his way of dealing with things I do not always understand. Regardless, there are many out there that think if we have type 2 diabetes that we can control it or we are at fault. To tell the truth that is not the case. WE can be insulin deficient and resistant...a double whammy. Luckily, when my A1C hit 8.5, I went on insulin because I was on the max of orals already. My recent A1C is 5.8 and I am heavier than I have ever been. Sometimes, even we cannot figure out why things are the way they are...but we do not have to surrender the fight.

Yes, I think it is hard to take on board for some people. My husband munches and crunches his way through chocolate bars and I am tempted to eat it more often than not. I don't mind people eating cakes etc as I know they don't always know about my condition but if the position was reversed, I would not do this. If it was just me at home I would not have any chocolate in the house. I tried to get him to come to the X-PERT Diabetes program with me but he refused. I think sometimes people like to think of you as say, not getting older or getting sicker. I think it's a form of self-denial on their part. So maybe that's how THEY cope with it?

Rosy, how about this: When your husband munches & crunches through a chocolate bar, you could munch & crunch through a square or two of DARK chocolate. A rather large square of 73% dark chocolate has only 4 gms carbs. It's milk chocolate that is high in sugar. There are supposedly some health benefits to dark chocolate.

"This is a multi-organ nasty mess of a disease.." very powerful words that motivate me to take care of myself in the early stage of what i have a genetic predisposition for.

I think that is so RIGHT caloparr. Staying focused one one's self is hard without the understanding or support around you but it can be done.I took my first shot without my husband at my side...but I wanted him there. I learned to count carbs without my husband's involvement. I had some hypos he could not understand...but I had to take charge of my own body and adjust accordingly.

I have to take a shot before each and every meal. No one understands where it has come from since it is not weight related or due to inactivity and age. it is hard to explain but few would listen if you could. All I can say, my Mom is Celiac and she is allergic to many many things. She is more restricted than I am so I consider myself blessed, but try to understand her situation as well.

I had the same experience as Nancy when I was first diagnosed 2 years ago. My family just didn't think my diagnosis with T2 was a big deal at all. I have to admit that my own behavior contributed to their disbelief and denial. I ran hot and cold, taking the disease very seriously one week, and totally ignoring it the next. How could my family comprehend the serious nature of diabetes when half the time I acted like it was nothing to be concerned about? Finally I got really sick, had to go on steroids for bronchitis. My BG shot up to 400-500 and just wouldn't come down. After emergency trips to the ER and the doc's office, things got real for all of us. I got an Endo, and took my DH with me to see him, the Endo did a great job of driving home to both of us that it was my last chance to get this under control. Now I do everything I can to stay healthy. I DO wear a bracelet, but I admit I felt funny about it at first. Like I was 'advertising' my illness. But after going low in a grocery store, and having an employee recognize the bracelet and bring me juice, I don't leave home without it. I really hope, Nancy, that once your family sees you making healthy choices (even when they are hard) that they will come to respect and understand what you are going through and begin to support you. In the meantime, just keep getting the support any way you can so that you can stay strong!

I am so blessed to have good coverage right now but I feel so badly for people who are in a financial bind with the cost of supplies. I used to work in a pharmacy and know sometimes if a doctor really cares he or she can help you. My doctor used to give me more than a few samples if he knew I was in a crimp financially. Sometimes doctors can write a letter into the pharmaceutical companies to help with costs. One can write in to pharmaceutical companies themselves as well to see if they can get help.
Change is difficult for people in general and I am glad support can be found here at this site, for all who seek it. I do agree the suffering and damages from not controlling glucose outweigh the costs of supplies.

Thank you Tara! Genetics...we do not wear them for all to see.

I go to counseling to cope with many things going on right now. Changes in one's body may not be helped and so depressing and frustrating. Not to mention lack of support emotionally that some of us may endure. That is such a great suggestion! Churches, chaplains and clergy can help if one cannot pay for professional counseling.

I understand what you are going threw... my family is the same way.. husband included
I also have High Blood pressure... i get alot of ulsers with all the medications I am taking... my husband thinks it is a joke and the doctors just want to make money off me
I have about 9 meds I am taking now and the doctor wants to give me more for my low thyroid... my husband says nothing is wrong with me it is all in my head.
Whether or not I feel well or not I am suppose to tend to his needs ...meals housework...etc.. I get depressed alot.
I have T2