Started new unusal part-time job: What should (or shouldn't) I tell them at work?

OK, so I’m an architect, but the construction economy in MIchigan ( as well as most places) stinks several of my projects have been delayed, AGAIN, ( I’m self employed) and cash is a bit tighter than comfortable. So I landed a part-time job at a “Large National Home Improvement Retailer” (you guess which one) as an associate in Lumber and Building Materials,about 20 to 35 hours a week. I help customers find product, operate the panel and radial arm saws to cut up lumber and plywood, do heavy lifting, will be trained to drive the lift trucks, etc., etc. So they really like me, are pleasantly surprised at how much I know about building materials (DUH!)

Do please note that I am female 5’2" and 115 lbs (much stronger than I look) and the only woman working in this department, and circumspectly trying NOT to be the smartest person in the room with my higher seniority coworkers…

But I haven’t told them that I am a Type 2/1.5 diabetic (no meds, just diet and excercise) I eat my meals/ snacks as close to schedule as my scheduled breaks and lunches allow and test in the rest room before and after lunch. I am usually in really tight control (5.6 A1C) and my snacks and meals are contolled for carb count and protein balance.

But I worry about any accident or injury (I mean worse than a big splinter or minor cut or having a customer drop a piece of plywood on my foot, all of which have happen so far). I carry around written instructions about hopsital treatment in my wallet.

I was afraid if I said anything upfront, which I am NOT obligated to do by law, they wouldn’t hire me or would stick me in some other “less demanding” department. I REALLY like this department.

So should I say anything? to who ? should I wear a med-alert necklace ( I don’t want to wear a bracelet lest it get caught on lumber etc.) I’ve politely refused cake and such in the breakroom only to hear “Oooh, you’re so skinny you can afford to eat this!” I don’t want to explain because I dont want to make it an issue, so what should I say or not say? Suggestions?

i almost always say tell, but in this case, I suggest not. It is one thing to get to the hospital and tell while no one else knows, but it’s another to be taking insulin and not tell. I suggest not denying it, but not going out of your way to tell it either.

Rick Phillips

My husband says I should tell only my department supervisor, in case I have a “low” or get injured , because I go “shocky” when I get injured: high adrenalin and a sudden rush of high BG then nausea, or the opposite: low blood pressure, go white and faint, and he worries that they will do every thing wrong or then be mad at me for not telling.

What about a med-alert necklace? does it help? A friend who is a former EMT says they are trained to always look for a bracelet or necklace. I am a first-aider and I was trained to always look for one on an unconscious patient. Do many diabetics wear them?