Started Symlin - although not having any side effects?

The drs wanted me to start Symlin w/ the night meal only, so I started on Tuesday night @ 15 mcg… I felt nothing different & Wednesday was the same @15 mcg. Today (Thursday) they allowed me to go to 30mcg, but I still don’t feel anything not even nausea… Am I weird? Don’t get me wrong I am glad that I’m not feeling sick, but I thought atleast I’d feel less hungry…

I noticed the appetite suppressant effect strongly at 15mcg when I started, but everyone is different. The nausea was never really bad for me- I only noticed it at the beginning really and it was virtually gone by the time I was at 60 or 75mcg.

How is it affecting your post-meal blood glucose movement? Are you looking to end up at 60mcg or 120mcg?

I started Symlin a week and a half ago. I’m currently using 60 mcg. per meal. The appetite suppressant effects have been good. No nausea so far. My insulin requirements have remained constant (instead of decreasing as the doc told me they would). The main beneficial effects for me so far have been that my BG levels don’t bottom out to 50mg/dl as they did consistently at 5 or 6 am. (I work a graveyard shift…I know when they bottom out!) It now stays about 120mg/dl. I plan on ending up at 120 mcg.

No - you are not weird. I started at 60 mcg and was at 120 mcg without Any nausea, although I had to go off of it. It was giving me heart palps and also ‘stopping’ me up big time! It did have the appetite suppressant effect which was really good…but I feel so much better being off of it now. I may try to go back on at a latter date. It did help with the highs after dinner…not much difference on my low and actually had a few more lows than normal. I did have other reactions…I was cold (bone chilling) all the time and would get very sleepy for the first half hour after taking. They hadn’t heard that before. Since I have gone off, no more cold and no sleepy feeling after eating. Interesting. I guess I just have to watch what I eat and keep the carbs low. I was really hoping this would work. I also ate less, but still didn’t lose any weight. Oh well… still waiting for that miracle cure!!!

Might be a bit different for Type 2s. . .since their body already produces some amylin on its own.

Hey J - It’s so good to hear that the nausea wasn’t really bad for you either. I gradually started feeling a appetite suppressant & do use 50% less insulin then before. I am up to 45mcg and have now been having a terrible nerve like pinch headache for 2 days, but still no nausea. The post meal blood glucose is amazing! I hope to get up to 120mcg, we’ll see…

Wow Dora… You went through a lot with Symlin! I’m glad that you recognized that it was stemming from that and got off of it. Maybe if you try it again you should start at 15mcg and let your body try to get use to it before you jump up to 60mcg… baby steps :wink: Good to hear from you!

Okay, I’ve had a side effect… The back of my head became swollen after starting on 45mcg. I have come back down to 15mcg & will be working my way back up again, but very slowly. I’ve lost 4lbs since starting (3 weeks).

Hey , i just started symlin last week and im up to 60 mcg and feel nothing no nausea, no appetite suppressant? I was wondering if you are still on it and is it helping you at all ? I feel no different and my sugars havent really been any more stable after meals either. I was really hoping this would work for me! I tried to eat alot one night just to see if i would feel fuller faster but nope not even after words!?!? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I didn’t get any nausea either! I was up to 120 mcg in 3 days! I did notice that I would get nausea in the morning because I would take the Symlin shot and then go dry my hair and put my makeup on before eating and the 20-30 min between taking the shot and eating really brought on the nausea! I will say that even though I haven’t had drastic reduction in my insulin intake it has brought a lot of very subtle, very welcome changes! It’s like some part of my brain has been able to relax after 15 years and I don’t think about food CONSTANTLY like I used to. I’ve never been overweight, but it’s rough when you think about food 24/7 and never feel full (mentally). I used to eat and feel physically full but still feel the need to eat - it’s like my brain wasn’t getting the message that I was stuffed! With Symlin I can finally just finish eating and be done and not be thinking about food…I can’t say enough good things about Symlin :slight_smile: I should mention that I’m an insulin-resistant Type I - and it seems like I’m probably resistant to Symlin too…

Re: appetite supression - I’ve heard that if you wait 15-20 min after taking the Symlin to eat it helps to repress the appetite…