Starting down the pump road

I just got off the phone with my Endo’s office and they are submitting the paperwork to my insurance company to start me on the Omnipod pump. I have butterflies in my stomach. I am excited about this but also really nervous. I am praying that the Lord would give me the strength to know this decision is about my health and having healthy children some day. It is not about what people think about me when they see it. It is hard to not be vain and think that people will think I am weird for having this device attached to me. It is hard to think about having to explain my diabetes more when people ask about the pump. But this decision is not about that. It is about having more stable blood sugars, reducing my risk of complications, and living a more “normal” life. Well, normal for a diabetic anyway. I started this process because I am currently taking Lantus which is not FDA approved in pregnant women. My husband and I are talking about our time line for children and my Endo thought I should get started on the pump before we start trying for kids.
So I am not sure of the time line and when all this will happen. If you pray, please pray that the paperwork will go through smoothly and all the necessary things will be approved. I am not sure if I mentioned this but there is one hoop I do have to jump through with my insurance, test strips. The Freestyle strips used with the Omnipod are not one of the Preferred Brands for my prescription plan. I have written to our HR department since we carry our insurance plan and use a third party provider to administer it to appeal to them to add the new strips to the preferred list. If this does not happen I may have to rethink this pump. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers through this process. I will keep you posted.

Best of luck with your omnipod! I love mine =) I had the same battle with strips. My insurance preferred one touch…but once my endo & insulet co. got in contact with them, they were ok and covered the freestyle. Congrats on the pump and I’ll be praying for you!

Best of luck Jamie!!! I’m starting on the pump (mine is a Medtronic 522) in about a month, so I know some of what you feel.

Cheers,

Henry.-