Starting Exercise with Type 1 Diabetes

I have to wait until I have no Insulin on Board to exercise. I take Spin classes after work - this means it has been 5-6 hours since I had lunch. I also raise my Blood Glucose to 200 before I take a Spin class - my BG levels can drop 100 points fast. I also check BG level before, halfway through, and right after the class. I always have glucose gels, tablets, or liquid with me on the bike. (along with my meter)

Be prepared for levels to rise as soon as you stop exercising.I usually take a unit of insulin as soon as I get off the bike.

There have been times when I have to get off the bike and sit for 10 minutes to let my BG level go up. I make sure my instructor knows that this may be a possibility. This only happens 2-3 times a year, and I spin 5 times a week if possible.

I am actually taking a class this weekend to become an instructor!

Think you’re replying to the wrong person, but this is also what I do: I use Clif gels, personally, but I bring them with while cycling and know (through experience) when and how to take them to keep my BG stable at just around 100 mg/dL.

If you are 20-30 pounds overweight, that’s not a huge amount, but … I think you’re approaching weight loss by putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

I am relatively certain that the weight didn’t go on overnight, but over a long period of time, so it’s not going to come off overnight either.

When I worked for AT&T and got to my highest weight ever (15 pounds over my ideal), I started looking at my activities closely. What I found was I was sitting at my desk a lot, riding elevators to attend meetings, eating bigger lunches with colleagues and clients, parking as close to my office as possible, eating bigger dinners at night, having a nice glass (or two) of wine, etc.

The changes I made were small, but over time they were effective. I started parking my car farther away from the building (so I had to walk a bit more in the mornings). I started walking up the steps in place of the elevator (unless the elevator trip was more than two floors away). I ate smaller lunches and tried to always eat the same thing for lunch and breakfast (reducing the glycemic variability). I ate smaller dinners and had less wine. I frequently walked after dinner - nothing extremely strenuous, but more than just a casual stroll. Bathroom breaks? When in my regular office, I always went to the one on the floor above me, or farther down the hall.

The result was I slowly fell back to my ideal weight and felt more energized.

This was all before having a CGM, so yes, I had some bouts of “SURPRISE! hypos”. Heck, I’m having one of those as I’m writing this. So a CGM is super helpful, but not the total answer - they’re gonna happen. I always carry my ToT (Tube of Ten) glucose tablets with me.