Starting G6 soon how do I calibrate it?

I’m similarly irritated. We were trying to help, but all misunderstood the question.

You talk about Dexcom ALWAYS being off, but when I tell you how to make the calibrations effective… It’s useless?

If you’re calibrating at any time other than what I indicated, because I laid out the only times when your sensor and fingerstick SHOULD match, then it is you yourself that is screwing up the Dexcom algorithm.

When you start the G6, I would highly suggest you pre-soak the sensor for 12 hours or so (to minimize the first day erratic woes), before starting it with the code. Then maybe try not calibrating it all at unless you meet the “flat, in range, and hydrated” rules. I’m normally pro-calibration, but only at the correct times. You need you remove yourself from the equation before you claim the CGM is always off.

1 Like

@meee,

Welcome to TuDiabetes.

As I read your post, you are switching from G5 (which is not accurate enough to safely dose insulin with) to the G6 (which is safe enough to dose insulin with).

You question about calibration of the G6 I can answer from my wearing a G6 since it came out. It is now driving my Tandem X2 with CIQ technology. The last time I calibrated my G6 is more than 18 months ago. I don’t even have current test strips - BAD on me.

Here is my take on NOT CALIBRATING unless you have problems. Here is my take and the rationale.

CGM Calibration for Beginners (and rationale to avoid Calibration)

Test by finger stick (FS) any time CGM doesn’t seem to match the way you feel.

Verify acceptable deviation according to FDA approvals, ±20% above 100mg/dL and ±20mg/dL below 100. Examples, CGM =200, then FS can be between 160 & 240 and still be fine, or CGM = 70, then FS should be between 50 & 90 with level CGM.

Wait 60 minutes between tests of CGM for validation.

Remember CGM measurements are interstitial fluid and finger sticks are whole blood.

Whole blood & interstitial fluid are physiologically different & 15-20 minutes apart in the movement of glucose.

Call tech support if 2 tests are >20% off, 1 hour apart.

Only enter calibration when tech support instructs.

If you are calling tech support for goofy sensor, request replacement regardless.

Follow tech support to change sensor.

Avoid the calibration rabbit hole of the system requesting multiple calibrations for hours.

Not everyone (some doctors) who prescribed insulin fully understands CIQ.

Finger Sticks (FS) & CGMs don’t play nice together.

First, FS & CGM are only expected to be within 20% of each other according to published standards. If your CGM says 200 then ±20% is ±40 mg/dL meaning a finger stick is fine if it is between 160 & 240. At the same time if CGM says 100 the ±20% would be 80 to 120. BELOW 100 it is ±20 points (mg/dL) without the percentage.

Second, as food is eaten, the food enters the blood stream in various places along the digestive tract. Some enters quickly from the mouth, like granular sugar placed under the tongue. Other foods swallowed quickly may not enter the blood stream until arriving in the stomach. The final absorption occurs in the small intestine.

After food is absorbed into the blood stream, it is ‘checked’ by the liver and then dispatched thru the body in the blood stream.

After glucose is in the blood stream, the glucose moves in the liquid part of the blood (sometimes referred to correctly as plasma or serum - like serum or plasma glucose for the doc’s office or hospital blood test) into the interstitial fluid that moves around all body cells outside the blood vessels. It is this interstitial fluid that CGM sensor wires are in to read the glucose and report it to our measuring devices.

The time for all of the above to take place is usually 15-30 minutes depending on multiple variables including the amount of carbohydrates, proteins, & fats in the consumed food.

It is this 15–30-minute interval and body fluid differences that give significant part to the variation in CGM and FS readings. This is also the reason most comparisons are done when glucose values are demonstrated level by the CGM before doing comparison finger sticks. Wish they would play nice together……

Hope this helps. Please share what you find. It is thru sharing we all learn.

1 Like

You can safely dose insulin with the G5.

Not according to FDA in the USA.

You need to hurry. Getting access to supplies can be very slow right now.

I tend to calibrate my G6 just like the G4. It will continue to give readings without cali, but throws warnings/alerts that ask you to cali. We call this running the G6 in “No Code Mode,” meaning you don’t enter the code enabling automatic calibration.

It is in Dexcom’s user guide, pages 38-39

@Tapestry, I made a mistake. G5 was not approved by CMS and many insurance companies now follow CMS approval instead of FDA approval. If CMS (Medicare) does not approve, then some major insurance companies like Anthem & UHC will not approve.

It is of note, G6 is approved without finger sticks.

I said frequently not always. But anyway, I have started my first sensor yesterday and put the code in, I figured out as IJohn messaged me that I can still calibrate it anyway which is fine. It seems to make no difference anyway.

Currently I am dealing with my father in hospital with covid and congestive heart fluid so I don’t have time to worry about this now. I am sorry if I snapped at your reply initially.

I can’t soak a sensor for 12 hours, I have issues with severe inflammation already as it is and may not even be able to leave it on for 10 days.

Welcome to tu? I have been here since 2012. In addition I already replied to you a while back about my constant issues with inaccuracy with the all the dexcoms I have used leading me to never dose off of it etc. I am familiar with it everything you have a written here already.