Statin vs Neuropathy

Been on meds for a year. Met Bp Statin. My A1C has gone from 8.5 to 6.1. Actually lower when I ate salad everyday for months at a time.
Never had foot pain until recently. I get this searing pain in my toes now when removing socks and shoes . A month ago I bought looser footwear, which has helped, but could these meds be contributing?

One of the documented side effects of statins is muscle pain. You should explore this with your doctor.

1 Like

I am going to ask. Appointment soon.

I’ve read/heard metformin can cause B-vitamin deficiency, which in turn causes a B-deficient related neuropathy. So a lot of PWDs get misdiagnosed with diabetic neuropathy when it’s really related to low levels of vit B.

I was on a statin for 6 months a decade again. Never again. Nasty side effects and once I went very low carb, it was unnecessary, anyway.

Also, be careful as you age—statins can cause dementia in senior citizens…

I have a friend who takes Lyrica for severe neuropathy pain. You might ask about that…

Good luck…

OK I am new here. There is good advice here. Thanks.

2 Likes

Following my pharmacist’s advice, I take a sub-lingual B12 to counteract this Metformin effect.

1 Like

One thing I have noticed with Statin induced pain is that it goes away after getting off the statin just a few days. Start them up again and it comes back in about a week. (again if they are the cause of said pain). Literally will not kill you to try.

1 Like

with lowered blood sugars and low carb diet cholesterol may return to normal levels and station not be ‘needed’. The need for and benefit of statins appears questionable eve, if one looks at non-manufacturer influenced literature.

Certainly statins have a long list, of adverse side effects. if you do take them must take coq10 supplement. please look into it.

1 Like

You might try going back to salad.

Doctor has said LDL way down. So far meds are same. That could change I think.

I have gotten back to salad. And learned to like it. :slight_smile:

Costco has a good price on CoQ10. I don’t take a statin. I take red yeast rice which is the original (nature’s) source of statins. Of course, once big pharma found out and patented their version, folks making red yeast rice could no longer advertise its benefits directly…

What is this CoQ 10 thing?

Copied the below:

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a substance that helps convert food into energy. CoQ10 is found in almost every cell in the body, and it is a powerful antioxidant.

Antioxidants fight damaging particles in the body known as free radicals, which damage cell membranes, tamper with DNA, and even cause cell death. Scientists believe free radicals contribute to the aging process, as well as a number of health problems, including heart disease and cancer. Antioxidants, such as CoQ10, can neutralize free radicals and may reduce or even help prevent some of the damage they cause.

Some researchers believe that CoQ10 may help with heart-related conditions, because it can improve energy production in cells, prevent blood clot formation, and act as an antioxidant.

Statin drugs are known to deplete CoQ10 in the body, hence people on statin drugs should supplement.

Link from one functional medicine Dr about Coq10 and statins.

1 Like

Thank you. I have a just plain nasty reaction to the whole idea of statins. I don’t always have the proper research handy for discussions—though I do know it—I just don’t have it organized for easy reference…

Blessings…

1 Like

Statins are known to deplete the omega-3 type of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Unfortunately, it’s very hard to find tests for low omega-3, so many doctors don’t pay much attention to this.

If you’re recovering from neuropathy, the pain can either increase or decrease. If the portion of your nerves that carries pain to your brain recovers first, it will increase. If the portion that senses the pain recovers first, expect it to decrease.

Tests are available for deficiencies of SOME of the B vitamins. You might ask for those tests.