Stem Cell Research: Your Thoughts

I like the short and to the point route you take. I’ll try to be the same - I tend to be way too verbose. It is only embryonic stem cell research that I am opposed to paying for with my tax $'s. Adult stem cell research, umbilical cord research, cadaver stem cell research, I’m all for.

I am totally in favor of stem cell research as long as a fetus (aka yet-to-be-born soul) isn’t terminated to do it.

Very pro-stem cell research. Think of the possibilities!

Alexandra, I couldn’t agree more Thanks for stating your views.

Gordie, I totally agree with you too - as I do with Alexandra (above).

As Alexandra stated so eloquently, I too, totally support adult stem cell research. My personal opinion, however, does not allow for the use of embryonic stem cell research - if a cure was found that utilized embryonic stem cells, I could not utlize this method of a cure.

I’m all for stem cell research. It’s an avenue that we haven’t really had full access to for (at least) the past eight years and I feel like there could be an answer there.

Your comparison is not accurate, nor is your characterization of present adult stem cell therapies. The effective adult stem cell therapies that are used today have been around for decades- over 30 years. They are confined to treating issues related to cancer therapies and do not involve the cell differentiation that is needed for potential diabetes treatments. There are no new successful, proven adult stem cell therapies available on the market today that I know of.

I do understand not wanting one’s tax dollars to go towards certain projects one finds distasteful, for whatever reason. While I empathize with you there and wish there were a practical way we could all avoid paying for things we disagree with, the nature of our government only allows you to legally oppose them through free speech and voting, both of which you should definitely take advantage of.

100% in favor of stem cell research!

Democrats mull options for overturning stem-cell funding restrictions.
The New York Times (1/3, A11, Hulse) reported that Congressional Democrats, “thwarted by President Bush in their efforts to expand federal spending on embryonic stem-cell research,” are “now debating whether to overturn federal restrictions through executive order or by legislation when they assume full control of the government this month.” President-elect Obama and Democratic Congressional leaders “have yet to determine if Mr. Obama should quickly put his stamp on the issue by way of presidential directive, or if Congress should write a permanent policy into statute.” The Times added, “The debate is not academic. Democrats who oppose abortion say such a legislative fight holds the potential to get the year off to a difficult beginning. … ‘It is a very divisive issue, and it is a tough way to start,’ said Senator Ben Nelson, a moderate Democrat from Nebraska. ‘You don’t want to stumble out of the box.’”

I think this tial to produce pluripotent stem cell is exciting news,we do not have to use embryos to get stem cells.And it has future implication that from one self stem cells can be produced…Great

Thank you for proving my point. Almost 40 years of successful cancer related therapies using ASC’s. O years of any successful therapies using ESC’s. I stand by the rest of my 12-26 communication. In the future I will include a bibliography - I honestly don’t make this stuff up. As far as using my tax $'s (or anybodies tax $'s) to pay for certain things, I have an original idea…Given our current economic situation - how about waiting until we can actually pay for ESCR. Any public money available for stem cell research should be given to the type that shows the most promise, at this time that is Adult Stem Cells. Don’t we all want the same thing here? An actual cure for this crummy disease. All I’m advocating is to continue the ASCR that has already been started and continues to show to be the most promising.

Yes sohair I absolutely do find this pluripotent stem cell trial exciting. You have enlightened me and encouraged me to continue to research this topic…By the way congratulations on your recent award.

Nicely put sohair. I’ve mentioned this before, but it is worth mentioning again. Given this country’s current economic situation, I have a feeling there is not going to be a whole lot of money available for Diabetes research. I believe that T1D is considered an “orphan” disease (correct me if I’m wrong). Which makes it even more likely that little $'s will be granted for Diabetes Research in general. I feel that any federally funded money that is granted for Diabetic Research should go toward the research that shows the most promise - that is ASC’s. Research going on in this area is both exciting and complex with political overtures. The Times was right, this is not and academic debate and that’s too bad.

I think all countries interested in stem cell research have to pour money for few places to go on with the research,seeing the world economic recession on full swing now.The research is mandatory for many diseases not only diabetes.

Considering today US President Obama signed a bill to reverse the ban on federal funding for stem cell research, it was not surprising it was all over the news and the diabetes blogosphere: Kerri wrote about it, Amy wrote about it and just about every other diabetes blogger had something to say about it.

What are your thoughts on stem cell research and the prospects it opens for finding a cure for diabetes?

I want all restrictions on embryonic stem cell research lifted. I suspect if we or our loved one had ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease), where the patient has only a few years to live, gradually losing all muscle function, we would support ESCR. Perhaps with diabetes, because we have more time before we see complications, and some never do see complications, we lose sight of the insidious nature of the beast. Since a child in our family suffers from Type 1, and since blood sugars are so difficult to control due to growth hormones, etc., I do not feel confident that she will not suffer complications 20 years down the road, at the ripe old age of 31. I think every system in her body can/is being effected. It is a crapshoot over who will/will not suffer complications. I know there are a few people who live very long and healthy lives, and their stories are told and it does give hope. But I don’t belive that is the norm. I expect complications eventually of some sort if this disease is not cured. Any advance that can help cure this disease, as well as Parkinsons, tnose suffering from paralysis, so many others, I am all for it. One thousand percent.

Along with many, many others I’m rejoicing at the news. We’ve all been waiting far too long for this ban to be reversed. Aside from the obvious avenues this opens up for research & hopefully a cure for many diseases, I’m personally thrilled that scientific research has been liberated from the tyranny of a minority of rightwing religious types.

A cure–here’s hoping!

Gotta love those CWD boards, where embryonic stem cell research is such a “hot topic” other “hot topics” being should you/ should you not get up at night to test children with highly erratic blood sugars (I was getting a lot of defensive negatives on the chat), as well as the "how many times a day should you test without being abusive (I was getting SIX times a day from the experts on the chat. Despite this, I have found great help from responses from like-minded parents on the forums, with lots of good tips. Why ESCR, how many times a day you should test (right, I’ll disregard the endo and listen to the experts on the chat), if you should stay up at night to test are “hot topics” on a diabetes online support group, I cannot fathom.

If stem cell research can lead to a cure for diabetes and a spectrum of other diseases then … I am all for it.