Stirring some trouble

It’s been forever since I made any entries here and I am not sure anyone will ever see this but here goes . . .

These are some of my conclusions from being a diabetic and observing others. Many will not agree and many may even be offended.

1. Diabetics are individuals and medicines and such work differently for everyone. Hence there is a need of fine tuning and it may take a lot of experimentation with medicines and dossages. It needs to be fine tuned on an individual basis. Diabetics don’t even react the same to things like low blood sugar. I feel it immediately when mine is dropping. But I have a friend whose teenaged son was walking with them and dropped suddenly. Turned out his blood sugar was around 45 and he apparantly never felt his blood sugar dropping.

2. Dieticians and diabetes educators are frequently clueless and go by idealized book knowledge of what someone with no clue postulates should be rather than what is. Even many doctors even have grossly unrealistic expectations. Some of it is akin to expecting Special Education students to get into Harvard just because they have received Special Education.

Realistically, if you can keep your fasting blood sugar at 125 or below and your after eating blood sugar at 160 or below, you are doing well, and this is with medication. The bottom line is that you are a diabetic, so even with medicine, exercize, and diet your blood sugar is likely to be somewhat high. While not ideal, this is much better than blood sugar that is unchecked, yet many doctors & diabettes educators and such seem unable to make this important distinction.

3. Most diabetics do not stick by their diets 100% and some eat a lot of things that they should not. This is exacerbated by unrealistic expectations by doctors and so-clled diabettes educators which results in the diabetics saying ‘■■■■ it, I can never come close to meeting the goals, so why bother?’ I’ve talked to my various doctors and been forthcoming in that I don’t abide diets in terms of what should and should not be eaten or the amounts and that I believe that many diabetics are not close to honest in this regard.

I think the problem is that doctors, dieticians, and diabetic educators, forget that diabetics are diabetic and come up with such grossly unrealistic expectations that some diabetics don’t even bother.

Personally, I try to tune my medicine to allow me to eat what I want, even though it may exceed the carbs I was told to limit my meals to. I remember a former endocrinologist telling me that my after eating blood sugar should not exceed 140. When I informed him that the Byetta website (one of the meds I am on) said 160, he replied that was old info. C’mon, what are they going to do, keep rachetting blood sugar numbers downwards until everyone is considered a diabetic? That may not be too far fetched. I had a friend who got a call from a nurse after a physical and was told that they were concerned because her blood sugar was a bit high.

How high?

Try 99.