Storing transmitter when not in use

hi,
i had to remove my sensor today for an MRI. called Dexcom and found out that i didn't want to be wearing it while getting an MRI. they were nice enough to offer to send me a new sensor since i just put it on yesterday!

been gone all day so i haven't had time to put on a new sensor. is there any "proper" way to store the transmitter? is it doing any damage by not being on my body for a few days?

I've noticed some folks in here who cannot afford to buy sensors often, so they only use their system every once in a while. No mention made of doing anything special with Tx or Rx. I think you can just store it. Its lifetime will continue to run down however -- there is no stopping that.

/\/\

I kept the box that the transmitter came in. If I am not wearing a sensor for an extended period of time I just click the transmitter back in to the plastic container in the box. I don't think it's necessarily "proper" but for me it is more a matter of being able to find it again and this takes the guess work out of it.

By putting the transmitter back in the box it prevents the battery from running down. The holder in the box has a small magnet that turns the transmitter off. So to get longer life when it’s not in use it’s best to put it in the box.

According to Dexcom, once the transmitter is removed from the shipping box there is no way to preserve battery life.

Interesting. That’s not what the local rep told me. He’s the one that even pointed out the magnet. It made sense to me since the manufacture date on the transmitter box was June 2012 and I purchased it December 2012. If it was not turned off during the warehouse storage and only has a 6 month battery then my will die next month… Oh I hope that’s not the case :wink:

Well one of these days I will get one that I dead from someone and can confirm some of this stuff when I take it apart.

I was going to write in the same thing tiaE wrote, since that is also what a Dex rep told me on the phone.

Of course, we all know you can extend the life of sensors longer than the week they're rated for by the FDA, and also can place your sensors other places than your abdomen (also decreed by the FDA), so what you wrote ScottD might just be possible, But, I wouldn't count on it...

Good luck!

/\/\

The battery is not activated until it’s removed from the packaging. Our first transmitter was dated 5 months prior to us receiving it. We got 13 months out of it.

And on that note…I’ve heard of some transmitters giving the low battery warning less than a month after being put to use. Others, like us, get a year or more. I would love to know if it’s a quality issue or something the users do that affects the life…maybe charging too much/too little? Climate?