Strawberry Almond Flour Cake

I haven’t made this, but it looks so appealing and the 15 grams carb/serving adds to the appeal. It’s gluten free too.

4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbl sugar, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups almond flour
1 Tbl coconut flour (or an additional 1/4 cup almond flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 to 2 cups sliced strawberries, for topping

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" round pan with butter (dairy-free if desired) or coconut oil. Swirl it in the pan and make sure it goes up the sides. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar listed in the ingredients into the bottom of the pan.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla until smooth.

3. Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.

4. Whisk together the dry ingredients — flours, baking powder and salt — and add to the egg yolks. Stir together to form a thick dough.

5. Fold in the egg whites, 1/2 cup at a time, incorporating them fully between each addition. The final addition should result in a smooth, fluffy batter.

6. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until it’s golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

7. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.

8. Allow the cake to cool fully before topping with sliced strawberries, or the fruit of your choice.
    Yield: 8 to 12 servings.

Recipe from The King Arthur Flour website, where you can read reviews and see the complete nutritionals - I find their recipes to be reliable.

Going to have to print this out and try it for Passover… (assuming I can find Passover almond flour - did last year!).

Hm…

Wow, if you substituted erythritol for the sugar, you’d have a very low carb dessert! And it looks quite appealing. I might try to make one of these. I’ve recently been making cheesecakes with erythritol, and I swear I can’t tell the difference between that and my grandmother’s NY cheesecake.

I was hoping someone who has experience with sweeteners would try it. I’d be very interested in your results :yum:

(back to my Passover comment), I don’t know if I can get erythritol for Passover, but I know I can get Xylitol. Not as good, but might be my best option (since I don’t want to use Splenda).

I haven’t tried alternative flours, but this looks interesting. I wonder if Splenda could successfully replace the sugar? Then I guess there would be a “volume” of ingredients problem.

@David49 does erythritol have a minty taste and leave your mouth feeling cool? I have used Swerve which is a mix of erythritol and Xylitol but find the taste and be a bit overpowering in some recipes and it males my mouth feel cool.

Other than the cool mouth-feel I find swerve is a good replacement for sugar in recipes like this one and does not affect my blood sugar.

Swerve is Erythritol and oligosacharides (no xylitol, at least not in the normal product). I think that effect is possibly from the oligos? I haven’t experienced mouth cooling when using Swerve or pure eyrthritol. May be worth trying before investing in real erythritol though! Nice thing is that erythritol bulks like sugar and is a true 1:1 replacement when baking (although it can take a bit more effort to get it to dissolve if the recipe calls for that). I’ve had fantastic luck using it in recipes so far.

I may try to get some and experiment.

@David49, have you weighed in on this topic? I’m wondering where if Swerve was mentioned

Almond flour is awesome. I’ve made grain free chocolate cake with almond & coconut flour, and it’s so indulgent. I buy Simple Mills grain free bread mixes because I get lazy. Just mix with eggs, water, coconut oil, bake. So easy and tasty. The mixes are usually just almond flour, arrowroot, coconut sugar, sea salt, and other stuff depending on the flavor - banana, pumpkin, chocolate, etc. I made some banana bread tonight with coconut flakes and chia seeds added to it for extra nutrition.

Here’s the awesome part. My son (he’s 20, t1 for 12 years) had a low of 44 a couple hours ago. We don’t have anything hypo appropriate in the house right now so I gave him a slice of the bread and a cup of whole milk. So not low carb, but low glycemic. 18 minutes after he was at 62, one hour later he was 88, an hour & half later 111. A nice steady rise (but came into safe range within the standard 15-30 minute time).

Grain free breads are amazing for diabetics and non diabetics alike. You can definitely cut the carbs with sugar alcohols. Even with added sugar, crazy spikes still don’t happen. No matter which sweetener is used, I’d definitely stay away from cane sugar.

I’m a strict vegetarian (not vegan). I too will have to play with this to make it work for my dietary constraint but this looks awesome. Next weekend I will play with this. Thank you for sharing!

Looks delicious, I want to add a big dollop of freshly whipped cream and dive in :laughing:

Thanks for the info. I often eat too many carbs when I have a low. The effect of the grain free bread with milk on a slow blood sugar rise is what I need. Where can I buy the Simple Mills grain free bread?

They have a store locator on their website. It’s also sold on Amazon. If that fails, you can make grain free breads from scratch using almond flour, eggs, oil, and fruit or veggies. The internet has tons of recipes.

Thx Angi, I will find it.

Angi, I found the almond flour mixes on Amazon as you stated. They did not disappoint! Easy, tasty and a low rise on my BS. Who knew?!:grin:I love this site for all the great info and awesome ideas !

I finally got around to actually making this. A friend of mine is taking me to the eye doctor today and her husband is celiac, so I thought I’d give it a try and make it for him.

It came out exactly how it looks in the picture. Easy too. A small piece stuck to the bottom, as I guess I didn’t butter the pan evenly…anyway, that gave me a chance to taste it! delicious, light, fluffy, great almond/coconut flavor. I’d make it again.

Made three of these over Passover … my family likes it better with strawberries than blueberries - I like 'em both :slight_smile: