Struggling

Peel and eat, except I'd eat what I peel?

Have you ever tried to peel popcorn shrimp? At the company picnic last year everything was breaded and fried. I decided to try peeling the breading off the popcorn shrimp. It is truly a miracle of modern food science how incredibly thick the breading is and how tiny the shrimp inside is. I stuck with the program, tedious though it was, and avoided a spike.

Oh, yeah. Seasoned fried flour is the food of my people: hush puppies, beignets, fry bread, Texas toast, tortilla chips.

Gotta avoid it like arsenic or I'm sunk. Sigh.

That sounds about as fun as trying to peel M&M's not that I eat M&M's anymore.

Gary S

Oh my ...I don't know if I fit in here , but...?? ...my line has been to ME and others for a long time : I want to keep my girlish figure , ha, ha :) ...and sometimes thumbs down I go ...I am a cookie freak ( no more home made ones , too lazy ...our fav. bistro ...darn , a whole one 55 grams of carbs ??!!!) ...
Call us : PWD and the strugglers

LOL -- You're not supposed to deep fry your sea monkeys! You're supposed to build them little castles and stuff.

Jean, I hope you get a job super soon. Half the problem is having too much time on your hands. Hats off to Zoe who keeps on top of it all the time!

But Jean, you need a (((hug))) and a gold star for trying. Get out that guitar and bash hell out of the strings.

Thanks! That's one more good thing about guitar -- I haven't figured out how to binge while I'm strapped in and working both hands on the strings.

Ah that's where painting has one up on guitar, that is if you don't mind paint smeared fingers!

Speaking of sugar, 60 Minutes was partly about sugar this week (the middle section of the program) and mentioned the studies showing how sugar "lights up" the same parts of the brain as cocaine, and how some people develop a "tolerance" for it, meaning that we both crave it and have to eat more and more to get the same pleasure response (aka pain-relieving response.)

Sugar addicts (like me) have been telling doctors about this for thirty-five years or more and they are FINALLY starting to listen and do studies to confirm our experience:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minutes/video/

we all have our vices dont be too hard on urself :)....i cant have peanut butter in the house. I eat the whole 500gm jar in one sitting otherwise!

That's funny, timmy. I like to say that a "serving size" of peanut butter for me is a jar and a spoon. Why are some things so tempting? ;0)

Things are tempting becuase we tell ourselves that we can't have it (insert sweet of choice here). The more we think abut not having it, the more we want it. The more we want it the more we seek it and sneak it. The more we sneak it, the more we say we can't have it and the more we can't have it the more we want it. It's a vicious cycle. A darn good tasting one, but a cycle just the same. Having another way to resond to that is the most helpful.

I once programmed my phone to tell me I didn't need it every 10 minutes. I did it for a week. Seeing the message every 10 minutes while i was awake drove me nuts, but it helped remind me that I shouldn't have that chocolate in the cupboard. It got a nnoying so I turned it off, but it helped remind me.

My addiction? Peanut M & M's! I really can't stop until I've eaten every last one. I think it was made by the devil himself... (I say as I pop just one in to my mouth) Curses!

Days passed without M&M's = 0

Time to start the count over again. Ugh

Yep! There was actually a spate of studies and recognition of the addictiveness of sugar and its negative impact on kids years ago (I can't tell you exactly which years), then it all disappeared and seems like it's coming back around again as though it's brand new info. Our society's capacity for denial never ceases to amaze me. Or is it the power of the conglomerates that churn out counter info so as not to threaten their profit? Or both.