STUDY: More Advances Are Needed for the Type 1 Diabetes Community

You keep referring to this statistic. Do you have an up-to-date reference for it? Or are you referring to the data collected in the DCCT? If the latter, that hypoglycemia rate is based on diabetes management 25-35 years ago.

I’m also wondering where this information about tight control decreasing quality of life is coming from. I would bet money that a majority of people with good diabetes control would report higher quality of life than those with poorer control. I don’t think a study with such a direct comparison has ever been done based on some quick searches, but based on studies I’ve read, poor control is correlated with a decrease in qualtiy of life, not the other way around.

2 Likes

The ACCORD study was about Type 2 though. Also, from what I remember, the ACCORD study involved a high carb diet and aggressive medication… on patients with a history of CVD. This cannot be compared to an otherwise healthy individual who eats a carb restricted diet.

As for the “gamble” aspect, sure, it is not guaranteed that good BG control means no complications will ever happen. But it sure as hell reduces the chance of them happening. I see it this way: if I keep tight BG control, and yet get complications, then that’s the residual risk that I unfortunately have to live with. If I keep tight BG control, and there is never a cure, then at least I most likely avoided some complication. If I keep tight BG control, and eventually there is a cure, then I kept my body as healthy as possible until that moment.

Of course, the question is how far do you go in terms of BG control and stress. If it dominates your life, then you are having a complication already, a mental / social one.

3 Likes

No, but you still think this is the reality for people with tight control when I would wager it’s quite the opposite. It’s as if you didn’t read a single word of my post. Your description portrays someone with poor control, not the life of a person with tight control guided by a CGM. I’m sorry for your friend, that is tragic, but it is an outlier and not the norm. Most well-controlled type 1s do not develop serious kidney disease or blindness, especially in their 30s. It sounds like you have had some bad experiences with hypoglycemia that blind you towards the reality that most of us deal with, which is why everyone is always arguing with you. If you were diagnosed today or even 10-20 years ago instead of in the 1960s I think you would have a different perspective. Then again there are people on this forum diagnosed earlier than you who embrace new methods, technology and optimism, so that isn’t fair for me to say.

1 Like

You’re mixing up a lot of different stuff here.

Yes, up through the 1980’s, retinopathy and kidney problems in T1’s just 15 years after diagnosis was a super common outcome.

In fact textbooks and research papers just stated it as assumed that this is how things would likely progress.

Typical statistics from as recently as the 1980’s: 98% of T1’s have retinopathy after 15 years, and 67% of them have proliferative retinopathy. Reference: The Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy

But those were the stone knives and bearskins days. You and I both had T1 back then so we remember. Nobody did home bg testing. I would get a bg drawn at the doctors and not get the result back until MONTHS LATER at my next doctors visit. And the doc never told me the number - those were different days back then when only the doc got to see the result. I remember a couple times the doc would tell my PARENTS the number but not me. Nobody knew their A1C. Hardly nobody knew anything about long term blood sugar normalization. Yes some were able to have some success through urine testing. Many (most?) were not so succesful.

Today thanks to the DCCT and follow-ons, we actually understand the risk factors, and everybody checks their bg’s multiple times a day and everyone has A1C’s done. “Control” has been the keyword for decades.

And you key in on some 17 or 18 year “sure thing” of kidney failure. Again, super common in the past. I think you are right, decades ago this was an almost sure thing. But it’s super rare today for any T1 diagnosed in last 25 years to have died of kidney failure.

I will broadly agree that good bg control is tough and ongoing and there are risks like severe hypoglycemia. I myself have been to the ER a couple times for severe hypos. So I don’t want to brush off or neglect those risks. But severe hypos are also a result of bad bg control too. And certainly the incidence of diabetics turning up unconscious regularly due to severe hypos has declined greatly in the past 30 years as self-bg testing has become common. Remember the “I’m not drunk I’m a diabetic and I might be hypo” wallet cards from 30 or 40 years ago?

1 Like

Unfortunately, diabetic nephropathy is a condition with a very large genetic etiological component, which has been known since the pioneering work of Borch-Johnsen in 1992. For a more recent update, see:

Curr Diab Rep. 2015 Jul;15(7):41. doi: 10.1007/s11892-015-0610-9.
Genetics of diabetic nephropathy: a long road of discovery.
McKnight AJ1, Duffy S, Maxwell AP.

The global prevalence of diabetic nephropathy is rising in parallel with the increasing incidence of diabetes in most countries. Unfortunately, up to 40 % of persons diagnosed with diabetes may develop kidney complications. Diabetic nephropathy is associated with substantially increased risks of cardiovascular disease and premature mortality. An inherited susceptibility to diabetic nephropathy exists, and progress is being made unravelling the genetic basis for nephropathy thanks to international research collaborations, shared biological resources and new analytical approaches. Multiple epidemiological studies have highlighted the clinical heterogeneity of nephropathy and the need for better phenotyping to help define important subgroups for analysis and increase the power of genetic studies. Collaborative genome-wide association studies for nephropathy have reported unique genes, highlighted novel biological pathways and suggested new disease mechanisms, but progress towards clinically relevant risk prediction models for diabetic nephropathy has been slow. This review summarises the current status, recent developments and ongoing challenges elucidating the genetics of diabetic nephropathy.

You will note that even though the data here are from 2015, the statistic is still that up to 40% of diabetics will develop diabetic nephropathy. At dialysis clinics today they are still the largest group, making up about 40% of the patients there. Now of course, these grim statistics have to be tempered by the fact that there is a wide range of nephropathy, so someone in stage three chronic kidney disease, for example, may hardly notice they are sick, and it is not until stage five that people have to initiate dialysis. But generally the rule is that the longer people live the greater chance they provide for whatever problems have developed in their kidneys to mature into endstage renal failure.

I fully agree there are too many diabetics with kidney disease. Maybe with more diabetics, and diabetics living longer lives, that the numbers of diabetics getting dialysis right now is the same as before. That’s probably true at the opthamologists office too - the number there that are diabetics might be the same fraction today that it was 40 years ago. It might even be higher. At least a lot of them are there only for checkups and not for treatment.

I don’t think anyone ever guaranteed me that controlling bg’s will prevent all complications. I think the best I can hope for is delaying complications as long as possible.

Personally I key in on the 3 things I’m doing to minimize risk for kidney disease:
1: Control bg’s
2: Control blood pressure
3: Take ACE/ARB inhibitor.

You can find a mention of the tripling of hypoglycemia with strict control in this article, which is generally of interest for its recognition of the very real problems associated with strict blood sugar control:

Can Fam Physician. 2012 Nov; 58(11): 1300–1301.

PMCID: PMC3498027
PMID: 23152467
Social implications of tight glycemic control
Kuan-chin Jean Chen, MD

Mr N. sat in front of me, his head bowed, pondering his answer to my question at a routine diabetes checkup: “How many hypoglycemic episodes have you had in the past 3 months?” A truck drove by, breaking his concentration. He raised his head with a worried expression and said, “I am not letting you take my licence away!”
His concern was legitimate. According to the Canadian Medical Association guide for determining medical fitness to drive, an insulin-treated patient with diabetes should not drive if he or she has a history of severe hypoglycemic episodes that required intervention or that produced a loss of consciousness.1 Studies have shown that even mild to moderate hypoglycemia (mean [SD] glucose level of 2.6 [0.28] mmol/L) impairs driving reaction time.2 In many provinces, physicians are required by law to report patients with medical conditions that might adversely affect the patients’ ability to drive safely. In addition, patients who are commercial drivers must have no episodes of hypoglycemia within the previous 6 months to maintain their commercial licences and to continue driving. Hypoglycemic episodes have a tremendously negative effect on the livelihood of truck drivers. One can only imagine the social effects brought on by hypoglycemic episodes.
Important studies, such as ADVANCE (Action in Diabetes and Vascular Disease: Preterax and Diamicron MR Controlled Evaluation),3 UKPDS-33 (United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study),4 and DCCT (Diabetes Control and Complications Trial),5 showed that intensive glucose control yielded a reduction in major macrovascular and microvascular events at 5- to 10-year follow-up analysis. … However, intensive treatment has the substantial disadvantage of severe hypoglycemia, as shown in the DCCT trial.5 The risk of severe hypoglycemia in intensively treated patients was approximately 3 times higher than in conventionally treated patients (62 vs 19 episodes per 100 patient-years).6 As a result, endocrinologists in the United States have recently been emphasizing “adequate glycemic control” with individualized therapy and glycemic goals while minimizing the risk of hypoglycemia.6
The long-term goal of glycemic control must be weighed against the distinct risk of hypoglycemia, especially in a patient such as Mr N. He is elderly, with multiple medical comorbidities and a limited life expectancy, and requires support from others for his instrumental activities of daily living. While he is still “sharp as a tack,” it is undeniable that the process of aging predisposes him to the risk of hypoglycemia. Tight glycemic control, in the case of the frail elderly, increases the risk of falls, which would adversely affect Mr N.’s quality of life and independence.
Historically, the development of guidelines for the management of diabetes has been based on large randomized controlled trials of carefully chosen patients, with close follow-up and few individualized treatment plans. Studies contain strict exclusion criteria, and so findings might not directly apply to the patients we are treating.4,5 Given the heterogeneity of patients with diabetes, I believe that guidelines should not be applied to every patient, and that treatment decisions must be individualized. We need to conscientiously apply discretion and avoid the trap of blending research findings into guidelines with no concerns about the reality of patient care. As part of the health care team, we must consider patient values and preferences, and incorporate them into our treatment plans. With the movement to pay-for-performance there might be increased pressure and rewards for physicians to attain targets based on guidelines—based on a target hemoglobin A1c of less than 7%.7 There is a distinct possibility of patients being harmed by strict adherence to generic guidelines, and it has the potential to rob the clinician of the ability to provide personalized care.
The day-to-day management of blood glucose for Mr N. is taxing and has already taken a considerable social toll. He greatly depends on his caregiver. Mr N. frequently leaves specific instructions for us to call his wife with any medication changes. The requirement of strict glycemic control complicates self-care. Frequent “lows” adversely affect his safety at home. In this case, intensive glycemic control poses as a potential burden on the caregiver and the patient. Survey studies have shown that hypoglycemic symptoms are associated with reduced health-related quality of life.8
Fear of hypoglycemia might further lead to decreased treatment compliance by impinging on the patient’s capacity to cope psychologically. From the patient’s and caregiver’s perspectives, minimizing the risk of hypoglycemia via individualized glycemic control, as opposed to generalized tight control, provides patient-centred care and enhances the patient’s sense of self-reliance and efficacy.
Mr N. and his wife have opted to control his blood glucose at a level that has the lowest risk of hypoglycemia, balancing the psychological and social burden of therapy. They and the health care team have chosen a less rigorous target of blood glucose control—hemoglobin A1c levels less than 8.0%. Mr N. considers his quality of life, his psychological well-being, and, of course, his capability to continue to drive to be the best indicators of the quality of his diabetes care.
As I continue the diabetes checkup with Mr N., I realize that overly rigorous attention to guidelines can lead to very real negative social consequences. I learned that guidelines frequently fail to consider numerous Mr Ns. in our clinic— the individual patients. Nonetheless, guidelines are often applied to everyone. Throughout my residency training, it has become clear to me that the measure of a good physician should be the ability to achieve a balance between patient choice and attaining health care goals, and not attaining numbers prescribed by guidelines. I instinctively know that the capability to come and go at will in his own car, to Mr N. and to me, signifies freedom and so much more.

This article, though its example, gets at the concept I have been trying to explain. Strict blood sugar control has its costs, medical, social, and psychological, and no rational approach to therapy can ignore them. When parents wake up their diabetic children every night to check blood sugar values to prevent ‘dead-in-bed’ syndrome from nocturnal hypoglycemia, they interrupt the normal sleep rhythm, which is profoundly injurious to health, yet no consideration is given to this as a cost of intensive anti-hyperglycemia therapy, yet it should be. I know in my own life the 20 years I spent before the invention of home glucometers my quality of life was easily double what it has been since then, because the incidence and fear of hypoglycemic seizures, the social disruption of low blood sugar and managing high blood sugar, the unrelenting pressure of getting the numbers right day and night, were all absent from my life. I think the uncritical enthusiasts of strict control are people who did not live in the period with their disease before strict control was possible. There is a saying in medicine, that you should treat the patient not the numbers, but in diabetology this rule is not as prominent in medical consciousnenss as it should be.

This is no longer necessary due to CGMs for those who can obtain them. Plus dead in bed is a real thing and can happen with good or bad control, so I’m not sure how you could expect parents not to be vigilant for this if they have the tools to check. I don’t buy your nonsense, quality of life was terrible before home testing, modern insulins, etc. I grew up watching close family members deal with it and everything was much worse. Lows were scarier, more unpredictable, more frequent. Consequences of skipping a meal were drastic. Complications were much more likely despite what you say.

1 Like

My point in highlighting the fact that investing time, energy, and hypoglycemia risks in strict control may not pay off is not to say that it might not still bring net benefits, but rather, that the anticipated benefits of strict control have to be discounted by the fact that complications in a particular patient may be generated by genetic factors or continuing autoimmunity, which will not be changed by strict control, or which strict control may not be able to overcome.

My friend, for example, who was born in 1968 and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1984 was treated entirely under the most modern regimens, advancing to each new form of treatment as the technology developed. He always had better blood sugar control than I did, but despite all of this, by 2000 he was blind and on dialysis. This situation for him was especially difficult, since he loved cars and was of course no longer able to drive, though he did have an old car in his back yard which he drove back and forth. He had worked as a carpenter constructing the walls of the clinic where he was dialyzed, so he used to feel sections of the wall on every visit and comment on his workmanship. In 2005 was lucky to get a very early transplant, the average wait in this area being a decade, after which he moved to another city and I lost touch with him.

We don’t really know what level of control people had prior to CGMs, and 1984 was way before the DCCT, analogs and MDI as the gold standard of treatment. I don’t think anyone would argue with you that genetic factors are important and people will have complications despite tight control, but you keep bringing up this example as if it proves control is futile. It’s an outlier and you really don’t know what level of control this person had on a daily basis anyway. I agree that the fact that you think your control was worse and you turned out better, if true, demonstrates genes matter, but that isn’t the end of it.

What happened to your friend is tragic, no doubt about that. However, it is also an outlier. Today even more so than back then. As such, it doesn’t change anything. It does not discount anything at all. It is well known that a balanced diet and regular moderate exercise are good for your health (no matter if you have diabetes or not). You can still get CVDs, a stroke, kidney failure even if live healthy like that. This does not discount the benefits of good diet and exercise at all. Of course a risk of zero never exists. Not even non-diabetics have zero risk of getting neuropathy, eyesight and kidney problems. But at some point, cases where people developed complications just are too much of an outlier to be of importance for BG control recommendations.

Also, the most modern regimes in 1984 are quaint and awful today. As @Scott_Eric wrote, back then, there were no DCCT results, no CGMs, no insulin analogs. Your friend had good BG control for that time. This does not devalue his effort, but highlights the fact that today, tight BG control reduces the risk of complications much more than back then.

Things are very different however if you look at the cost benefit ratio, the cost being stress and time spent on diabetes management. If these increase greatly, and yet only achieve a HbA1c reduction from, say, 5.9% to 5.6%, then it is not worth the effort. If someone gets obsessed with BG control based on the mistaken belief that this will guarantee zero complications happening, then I think these persons need to read what you wrote, yes. Otherwise, I say, keep BG control as tight as possible, under the constraint that the cost benefit ratio must be optimal.

…which just references the DCCT.

So, your continual reference seems to come from data that is 25-35 years old.

No one here is saying that goals shouldn’t be individually set for each patient based on hypoglycaemia risk, quality of life, and other factors (in fact, that’s what current guidelines already advise). People are protesting your assertion that a) tight control leads to increased mortality, b) tight control leads to decreased quality of life. And also your assertion that, without any scientific consensus about the above two topics, guidelines should be changed for everyone so that tight control is no longer a goal.

Well, I lived through 20 years of type 1 diabetes before strict control was even recommended (aside from the Joslin’s Clinic, which many endocrinologists then regarded as fanatics) or possible, since the home glucometer had not been invented. From 20 years of personal experience, I can say that diabetes management then was positively heavenly in its absence of hypoglycemia, since people couldn’t even strive for strict control, and its absence of all the countless irritations of constant management interventions. The biggest risk then was that you would forget to take your once-daily insulin dose in the morning, since diabetes was that easy to ignore.

Then a parade of horrors emerged with strict control. Near lethal hypoglycemia as physicians began to insist on tighter and tighter control, the patient’s life reduced from being a successful doctor, lawyer, scientist, or business person to being nothing more than a pancreas-imitator, were not fun. A friend of mine who knew me well before the strict control era spent a few weeks visiting me after the strict control era began and said, “I hadn’t realized your diabetes had become so much worse,” since that is how strict control looks to an outsider not indoctrinated into the strict control ideology: worse, not better.

Many message threads on this board deal with problems people have with spontaneously unstable blood sugar levels. I have that in the extreme, so even with a regimen of eating the same thing at the same time every single day for my entire life, and performing exactly the same activity every single day for my entire life, the blood sugars can bounce around crazily and unpredictably because of internal physiological processes which can neither be predicted nor controlled. The result is sometimes extreme hypoglycemia, which clinicians tend to view inaccurately as just a problem of physiological insult to the brain in terms of deprivation of glucose, oxygen utilization, and metabolism, even though in fact it involves much more damage, including a profound disruption in social functioning, psychological adjustment, and the risks of what the patient does in response to the hypoglycemia, which in my case has involved breaking a wrist, breaking a hip, and breaking a leg from chaotically stumbling around and falling.

So the treatment of diabetes has to be regarded as a balance of its long-term positive effects and its short-term negative effects. As the patient ages, the importance of the long-term effects diminishes, since there is less time for them to materialize. In the presence of hyperglycemic memory, which everyone who had diabetes before home glucometers will have, and many who developed it afterwards will have as well, strict control now may well have absolutely no positive effects, since the damage done by hyperglycemia decades ago will continue to generate complications whatever the patient does now. This is certainly the case for me, since despite an HbA1c in the four range for the last decade, I have had to have four laser photocoagulation sessions during that period because of constantly worsening retinopathy despite a blood sugar level better than that of the clinicians measuring it!

So how much real value is there is in strict control when there is little chance of the patient experiencing its long-term effects, when hyperglycemic memory suppresses the ability of the patient to benefit from strict control, when intrinsic blood sugar instability makes it impossible to avoid severe hypoglycemia, and when the chance of breaking bones during hypoglycemia episodes is vastly increased because of age and many decades of diabetes having caused diabetic osteopenia? None, perhaps?

This is no doubt an extreme case, but there are many others with some or all of these factors which diminish the value of strict control, including a strong genetic predisposition to complications and a continuing autoimmunity which wrecks the body in a distinctively diabetic way just as it did when it originally destroyed the pancreatic beta cells despite present blood sugar levels. Interestingly, I note that my grandmother, who had type 1 diabetes in 1948, developed exactly the same complications in the same order and with the same severity as I did, even though she was dead by 1981 and didn’t experience any of the modern treatment technology. Does this point to the inevitability of complications despite my vastly better blood sugar control than her given the role of inheritance?

I’m not discounting your experience, everyone is different, but what you say is in such contrast to what everyone else is saying including those I have spoken to and witnessed (witnessed at least prior to the MDI/pump era since I was not alive before the late 80s). I’ve been told the same thing by others when I got a CGM that my diabetes must’ve gotten worse - so what. Most people are ignorant about diabetes just as I am ignorant about most diseases I luckily haven’t had to deal with. It sounds like you did fine with the 1-shot/day era, but many people didn’t and there was nothing they could really do if they were struggling. I am certain it is much easier today to live life as a busy type 1 professional than it was 20 or more years ago. I can’t imagine having to eat lunch at a certain time every day or risk passing out, but this was the reality for many people before MDI. Plus, even if it’s true that tight control won’t make a difference for people who lived 20+ years without glucose testing, it certainly will for people newly diagnosed. Why wouldn’t it be in their interest to maintain the tightest control possible (within reason and without sacrificing quality of life) to avoid complications down the road? Finally, if life was better for you 30 years ago, nothing is stopping you from just taking a shot of Lantus in the morning and doing nothing else. No one is forcing you to do anything you don’t want to. You live in Canada, you don’t even need to see a doctor to buy insulin if you don’t want to.

I think we’ve got some good examples here in this thread of the emotional or mental burden of good control (whether that means A1c =4.0 or A1c = 8.0) being surpassed by the academic research journal burden of trying to figure out what the right level of control is given a maze of articles published in past 40 years.

It is known that there is a strong familial clustering of diabetic complications n the time of onset after diagnosis of diabetes, their nature (renal, retinal, neurological, cardio-vascular), and their intensity, so this is clear evidence of a genetic role in their genesis. Some candidate genes, inherited along with the cluster of genes that predispose people to develop diabetes, have even been identified. But what is not yet clear is how strong this genetic predetermination of complications is.

Since, as I said, my grandmother’s late onset type 1 diabetes, which lasted from 1948 to 1981, produced exactly the same complications with exactly the same intensity at exactly the same time after onset as I experienced, even though my blood sugar control was infinitely better than hers, since her disease was over before any of the modern blood sugar control technology was available, I have to wonder whether my own, much more intensive efforts at blood sugar control were entirely worthless, since they didn’t produce outcomes any better than my grandmother had. And if my efforts were worthless, what about other patients who are equally powerfully genetically preprogrammed to develop diabetic complications? We know that at the other end of the spectrum, some people can have terrible blood sugar control and survive 50 years or more with no complications, simply because they are genetically protected against them. Gill, for example, found that the average HbA1c among the group of 50-year Joslin Medalists he studied was 10%! So if diabetic complications are very heavily genetically predetermined, strict control may be less important than people hope.

Another bad example. You would have to analyze someone diagnosed today who is put on a CGM right away and maintains a normal or near-normal A1C and low SD. Again, no one knows how big the spikes people were experiencing were, time in range or SD until CGMs came along. Even people who thought they were tightly controlled could’ve had large SDs and spikes after meals, so I don’t think we even understand yet what the effects of lowering SD and increasing time in range are. Plus, you don’t know if you wouldn’t have developed more or more rapid complications if it hadn’t been for modern interventions, so again you can’t conclude anything from this example. You also don’t know how many more Joslin medalists there would be if tighter control was advised/available 50 years ago.

But we do know, from familial clustering of complications in intensity, time of onset, and character, that there is a strong genetic component of diabetic complications. When combined with the fact that my grandmother and I also had exactly the same complications at the same time after onset and with the same intensity despite vastly different blood sugar control, it arouses the suspicion that the contribution of genetics is more significant, at least in my case, than anything either of us could do.

We do know that genetics has a profound influence in blocking complications by protecting against DNA changes.

On the role in diabetes of genetically conditioned blocking of changes to the DNA, see:

Cell Metab. 2015 Aug 4;22(2):239-52. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2015.07.015.

Preserved DNA Damage Checkpoint Pathway Protects against Complications in Long-Standing Type 1 Diabetes.

Bhatt S1, Gupta MK1, Khamaisi M2, ### (Preserved DNA Damage Checkpoint Pathway Protects against Complications in Long-Standing Type 1 Diabetes - PubMed)

Abstract

The mechanisms underlying the development of complications in type 1 diabetes (T1D) are poorly understood. Disease modeling of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) from patients with longstanding T1D (disease duration ≥ 50 years) with severe (Medalist +C) or absent to mild complications (Medalist -C) revealed impaired growth, reprogramming, and differentiation in Medalist +C. Genomics and proteomics analyses suggested differential regulation of DNA damage checkpoint proteins favoring protection from cellular apoptosis in Medalist -C. In silico analyses showed altered expression patterns of DNA damage checkpoint factors among the Medalist groups to be targets of miR200, whose expression was significantly elevated in Medalist +C serum. Notably, neurons differentiated from Medalist +C iPSCs exhibited enhanced susceptibility to genotoxic stress that worsened upon miR200 overexpression. Furthermore, knockdown of miR200 in Medalist +C fibroblasts and iPSCs rescued checkpoint protein expression and reduced DNA damage. We propose miR200-regulated DNA damage checkpoint pathway as a potential therapeutic target for treating complications of diabetes.

You are so right