Suggestions for a visit to my primary care doctor

I’m going to see my Primary Care Doctor for the first time in a long time. I’m over 50 and have had Type 1 diabetes for about 30 years.
Are there any tests or screenings that anyone would suggest that I request?
I get the usual bloodwork with my Endocrinologist, but I’m wondering if there are any screenings that are not specifically diabetes-related but that might be particularly prudent for PWDs.
I feel generally fine, but I feel like I’m getting to an age where preventative care beyond the usual diabetes stuff should be on my radar.

I lot of this depends on your family history but my suggestions would work for anyone, diabetes or not.
Everyone should have an EKG do some kind. You should have that reading in your records. If you have problems later, they have something to compare to. I get one at least every 5 years (major family history) or sooner if something comes up.
Also, sorry to say colonoscopy is recommended at 50 and every 10 years unless there are issues. I am now on the every 5 years timeline sure to issues.
Women of course mammogram. Timing on this on is changing all the time. Family history, biopsy issues, I’m every year.
And full labs but it sounds like you’re endo like mine does the complete lab work once a year!
My PCP is a huge skin cancer person. So my annual, he goes over my skin looking for problems and he stresses sunscreen.
I also do a foot doctor appointment every 4-5 years. No issues, just a checkup.
That’s all I got. I’m sure there is something I’m missing but you can always ask for tests before your appointment so you can discuss them at your annual.

3 Likes

As an audiologist, I would like to suggest getting a complete hearing evaluation! Even the tiny cochlea can be affected by diabetes. It’s good to have a baseline for hearing as well as the other usual things. Make sure you see an actual audiologist; not a hearing aid dispenser.

1 Like

Diabetes, Cholesterol, and atherosclerosis are all tightly related. So if your cholesterol is climbing at all and/or if you are on a statin it is a good idea to get a Ct-Scan to obtain a baseline CAC score. The ct-scan is usually not covered by insurance but normally costs $99, takes about 15 minutes and is totally non-invasive. the newer ct-scanners emit very little radiation, so similar to an x-ray. This will help you immensely later on to better be able to manage your risk/reward of using a statin, which every endo wants to push on you, usually before you reach 50 as a diabetic.

I’m sure your due for a kidney test and a referral for a diabetic eye exam. Make sure they do that kidney test!

Diabetic foot exam and diabetic eye exam. Liver test if you are metformin or other meds. Referral for colonoscopy. See and ENT just because. If you can go to nutritional counselling, go.

Also, a bone density exam since you are 50+ For a baseline unless you already had one.

If you are male, 50 is the magic age for regular prostate exams to begin and I’m 99.9% sure your endo isn’t doing them.

It is very likely your endo has been tracking blood pressure and maybe you are already on an ACE/ARB inhibitor even without high blood pressure. If not then it is definitely something to make sure PCP hits up.

I have a heavy history of heart disease in my family and as a result I also see a cardiologist once a year. EKG at every visit and occasional simple treadmill stress test.

Thank you to everyone for all these suggestions! They’re a big help.

Back when I was in my 30s, I had a doctor who wanted to prescribe statins. I think he thought it was standard for all diabetics to take them.
At the time, I resisted and never went on them. I felt like I had so many years ahead of me and would be on this drug for the rest of my life and I wanted to sort of wait and see. Other than my diabetes, there was nothing in my bloodwork that indicated a need to go on statins.
I realize that this is a question more for my doctor (and I will be asking it), but I was wondering if anyone had seen any research or had an opinion about statins in the absence of elevated cholosterol or high blood pressure. I should say that my overall cholesterol is low, but, unfortunately my good cholesterol is low as well as my bad.