On Friday I had a small surgery - an FESS. Basically they widened the passages in my nose so that I can breathe better. I was very nervous about it, particularly about how to control my blood sugar.

The surgery itself went fine, as far as I can tell at this stage. I will talk to the doc on Friday for a post-op follow up.

My blood glucose rose and rose after the surgery. It’s been a while since I last used insulin, but I became well acquainted with my pen in a short period of time! I don’t know if it was the surgery itself, or the anaesthetic, or if I went low and they gave me glucagon, or what else it could be that did it. I didn’t know what to expect, so I gave myself two units, waited, and then if it had rose after an hour gave myself another two units. On the first day I took a total of 8 units, the following day it was 6, the next day 2, and today I’ve had none.

The first day was mostly okay, but the next two days were a bit more trying. My blood sugar levels were bouncing up and down, like a ball in a pinball machine. This wore me out quite quickly, and I took to my bed until I felt a bit more stable and capable.

I was pretty emotional for the first three days, as of course one would be with crazy blood sugar levels. I got snappy with my mom, which I feel bad about because she was trying to help. She was most concerned with my nasal bleeding, and to me that seemed like the least of my worries as I was guessing dosages and just generally being worn out. It was the most visible symptom though, so I can see how she would want to monitor it.

Incidentally, while I was in hospital I was monitoring my BG every hour. When the nurses came to test my BG on their machine, and I tested on mine (One Touch Ultra 2) to make sure they were the same (or similar). They were not. When my meter read 5.7 (102.7), theirs read 6.7 (120.6). Now that is a pretty big difference, and could certainly end up being detrimental to me in the long run (if I think my sugars are lower than they are). I’m going to swing past my dietician tomorrow (she gave me the meter and said to call any time) and ask her for some advice on it.