Survey Thank-you Incentives?

Do survey incentives make you more likely to participate in the survey? How much does the incentive need to be?

I am doing my dissertation on married couples with diabetes, and I am having almost no luck getting participants for my study. A dear friend just donated $100 to help me with this – and I’m wondering whether $10 gift certificates are likely to get people to do the surveys?

Thanks for any thoughts – I am getting discouraged. :frowning:

Yes, it does help!

I am actually taking a survey methodology class now and they say that $2-5 dollars increases the participation most. Increasing the amount does not increase participation proportionally.

I just received a $15 Amazon gift certificate for participating in another diabetes survey.

I will fill out the survey now… and try to convince my husband to do so soon!

Wow, thanks for such an informative response!! If I change the incentives to $5 each, that would cover 20 surveys, which would really help. I need to get at least 40 (to add to the 40 each that my colleagues are getting) in order for our findings to have statistical significance. If I could afford it, I would be happy to do more!

And thanks so much for looking at the survey. If you decide to do them, it might be easier if I email you the surveys as two Word documents.

If you email me at rearch.diabetes.t.ruth@gmail.com, I will email the surveys as Word docs. Then you can save, mark up (changing your answers to red, or putting asterisks by your choices), and then attach in an email back to me.

Thanks, I will be doing my happy dance if you and your husband are able to complete the surveys!!
Ruthie :slight_smile:

correction to email address:

research.diabetes.t.ruth@gmail.com

Also, the survey is for married couples – one or both with diabetes. (There are two versions of the survey, one for each spouse.)

THANKS!!!

When it comes to Diabetes Surveys, to me an Incentive is inconsequential compared to the benefits the results of the Survey might provide others to reach their DM Goal. If, however, it was an extensive Survey requiring multiple sessions or requiring any type of travel, even local, then the Incentive would be an issue. I have been to recorded interviews that pay anywhere from $50 to $250 depending on the amount of time and I have answered Surveys up to about 30 questions for free. Incentives for simple surveys are unnecessary. If it takes more than 15 minutes, an Incentive would be in order.

rearch.diabetes.t.ruth@gmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try double-checking the recipient’s email address for typos or unnecessary spaces

sorry, it is: research.diabetes.t.ruth@gmail.com

@George, thanks for those thoughts! That makes sense to me.

My particular survey is said to take from 20 to 60 minutes, and one friend of mine said it took her longer, but I happen to know she was doing it with kids interrupting her, LOL! The spouse survey is less than half that long.

If you would be willing to participate in this survey, it would mean a lot to me!

I saw the Word documents in the previous discussion and downloaded them. Has the survey changed at all?

I took a look and it is quite long! So… it will have to wait until the weekend!

Not changed. Thank you, Kristin!! :)))))