Sushi!

I love sushi and used to have horrible highs after eating it. A couple years ago I started taking symlin and it has made eating sushi easy again. I had almost sworn off having it because of all my highs, but now with the symlin, I don’t have any problems at all.

I used to live in China. Omigod, that was horrible (on my blood sugars). My Chinese is not great, so I couldn’t ask what was in the dishes, so I’d just guess on carbs (and ingredients - I got some weird stuff sometimes). Sometimes I’d end up at 600 (or HI) and other times I’d end up at 30 and having to down bottles of Sprite (Sprite and Coke were the only soda choices where I lived). My blood sugars just fluxed so much, seemingly without rhyme or reason. I’d try changing my basal or doing square wave boluses, but I could never find a pattern.

Anyway, that’s not terribly helpful, since I doubt too many of you are going to go live in rural China, but the point is that, for me and probably lots of other diabetics, Chinese food is horrible on your blood sugars. Since coming back to the US, I’ve gotten a lot better at finding ways to counteract the stuff - square wave boluses are your very good friend.

Eating foods high in fat takes some experience with pumping. I like Chinese food and on occasion I eat it but I use my temp basal to take care of the fat that spikes our bs hours later. Some people use square bolus which I’ve never used. Until you have more experience in pumping refrain from eating high fat foods which also include pizza among other foods. I’ve never eaten sushi because of fear of eating anything raw because of bacteria.

Mikey,

That’s great! There’s hope for people on Symlin.