Swimming & Hypos

I’m going to start swimming to switch things up with my cardio routines. It give me something different to do other than run, and I think that swimming would be good for overall toning as well.

I’ve got a question though. What do you do if you go low whilst swimming? I’m a bit scared of being too dazed and confused to react logically. And I’m not as fast as I am on land.

Another thing - it’s pretty sunny outside so would the heat have any effect on my blood sugars or will the fact that I’m in water negate that?

Swimming is a lot of exercise, and I always start dropping after a good swim. I don’t know how lows usually happen with you, but with me it’s rarely so quick that can’t even get myself out of the water. To me it’s like any other low. I start feeling a tad off, and I usually catch it when I’m between 50-60-something (at which point I’m still in my right mind). But again, that’s just me. I think you should be fine so long as you know yourself well enough and there’s a lifeguard on duty.

if you are really concerned…try to swim with a friend who knows what they need to do in an emergency

I have the same problem with bike riding. I don’t feel the hypo until I get off the bike and go inside. I was nervouos I would not react quickly enough and might have an accident. So I started taking jelly beans along on the ride and I have one at regular intervals. That keeps my BG stable. Don’t know where I would put them at the pool though. Maybe in a bag at the end of the pool and you could eat a little something every lap or two?

Perfect. Really. I’m all for Sarah’s “If” - although any one emergency hypo or hyper is one too many (see the very first entry on my page: I had an effective heart attack, I’m told), I tend to think you really must look at it in perspective. I’ve had only one truly terrifying moment, and that was not mid-exercise and came from nowhere with only my forlorn dogtag to let anyone know I took insulin… If you can find a friend who knows what to do, that’s got to be the best thing to do. If you can’t , how about making sure you’re at a pool (1) with a lifeguard (2) who you trust (3) who you know you trust because you’ve taken 10 minutes out to watch and who you know keeps his eye on the pool?

It also wouldnt hurt to educate the lifeguard.

I enjoy a few different exercise classes a week and when I realized that im falling low many times during these classes, i had to step it up. I introduced myself to the class instructors and I made a copy of hypogylcemia symptoms and what to do, basically re-educating the instructors. All lifeguards and instructors have to learn about hypoglycemia, but many either forget or never see it happen. Now all the instructors know me by name and they keep juice boxes in the instructors office, which is between both classrooms, just incase.

Try doing that.

Thank you guys for your input! I think I will feel quite safe swimming at the pool across from where I live because I’ve swum there before and I know the lifeguards are attentive. I guess I’ll give it a shot later this week, after I go and get myself a new swimsuit and do the usual test, snack if necessary, workout, test, and snack if necessary thing and then see how it goes. The weather’s been so sunny of late and I think the pool would be a nice change from the running track! :slight_smile: