Switching from Humalog to Novolog

Since I got my OmniPod in May 2008, I’ve used Humalog. Now my employer has changed health insurance companies and Humalog is outrageously expensive while Novolog costs me very little.

I’ll make the switch from Humalog to Novolog within the next week.

My internet searches revealed that many people need about 10% less Novolog than they do Humalog. Have any of you experienced that? I know that I’ll be doing lots of testing but wondered what guidance you have for me. Novolog also appears to act more quickly, meaning that I’ll probably need to change the timing of the shifts in my basal rates (e.g., change start time of higher bolus rate to cover dawn phenomenon to one hour later).

You are on the right track with your thinking. I changed from Humalog to Novolog a few years back, and it does take a little readjustment, but nothing too drastic…and I am living proof that it can be done. I was not on the Pod when I made the change, so I think you are correct that the basal rates are going to be the big change, but that actually should go easier on you than having to take extra MDI as I did during the change. I seriously doubt you will have any trouble making the change. Good luck with it!

Thanks, Sherry Ann. There’s nothing like the voice of experience.