Symlin in Australia?

My name is Karen and I am a 36 year old Registered Nurse from Australia. I have had type 1 diabetes for 36 years and wear a pump as does my 9 year old daughter, I have done a fiar bit of research on symlin and have convinced my endo to start me on symlin. It is not yet available here and no one is able to tell me when it will be. I may well be one of the first to start on it in Australia as we are going to get it through special access. Waiting on the details from my endo. Does anyone know when and if it will be in Australia and what are the costs involved if I am going to have to pay to get it into the country?

Symlin is also only under review by the European Medicines Agency, so it is not presently sold in most European markets, although it is expected in the not-too-distant future. The first place to inquire is the “TGA” (the Therapeutic Goods Administration) which is the Australian equivalent of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. I searched to see if Symlin (referred to generically as “pramlintide acetate”) was approved or currently under review. I did not come up with anything, but I didn’t really have time to search in-depth. I tried to see if the company had mentioned in any of its investor reports or presentations about intention to move in Australia, but did not have time to read through all of the company’s presentations and reports, but you may want to look yourself by visiting Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Investor Relations’ Website at http://investors.amylin.com/. I did learn that Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. did make an investment about 1 year ago in an Australian company called Xenome, which is based in Brisbane, maybe that will lead to something. Be aware that Amylin has a partnership with Eli Lilly & Co. and there is expectation that Lilly could ultimately acquire Amylin Pharmaceuticals, especially given activist investor Carl Icahn has acquired a significant stake in the company and may push for a sale to Lilly (though that is less likely given Lilly’s recent acquisition of Imclone Systems since their cash is tied up) at some point. An outright sale to Lilly could expedite international expansion of the drug, as the company has a multinational presence and could facilitate faster than a small biotech startup like Amylin.

I wish I could provide more solid answers, but I thought it was worth sharing some places where you might find more information on the subject. In the interim, importing Symlin from North America is theoretically possible, but realize its a hassle (you’d likely need TGA approval, although there may be a procedure in Australia for that) and may also prove costly if you must pay out-of-pocket given the recent movements in exchange rates!

I WAS ON SYMLIN AND FOUND THAT IT DID NOT DO WHAT IT SUPPOSE TO DO I FOUND NO DIFFERENCE MY COPAY WAS 75.00 FOR IT TO

Thanks Scott,
Shall try looking into that. There is a process required through the TGA which I have investigated. It’s very frustrating when you seem behind the times.