Symlin lows

I read a lot about the danger of going low from Symlin and then having a hard time getting blood sugar
back up. So as I titrated my dose up I was very cautious but I had no lows at all. I discovered that I felt
nice and full if I took the Symlin 20 minutes before I ate. I wondered if Symlin’s cautions were just more
of the medical profession’s over-cautiousness about lows. I started on my final
dose of 120 mcg 3 days ago and have had much better post prandials but no lows…until tonight!
I took my 4 hour lunch pp at 5:45 and I was 80. I was watching the news and finishing up dinner and
I took my Symlin 20 minutes before dinner would be ready. Then a little
before 7 when I started feeling crappy. I took my blood sugar and I was 38! Normally when I’m low
before dinner I just go ahead and eat and hold my insulin until my bg comes up. I really didn’t feel like
eating glucose tablets before the yummy chile rellanos I spent the day making, but 38 is crazy and I felt awful so I took two glucose tablets and then ate. I took my blood sugar several times after dinner but I
stayed in the low 50s until 9:30 when I finally made it to 73.

So yep, I think at 120 mcg I need to take my Symlin right before dinner. Just thought I’d share this since I had mentioned on here doing the Symlin 20 minutes before my meal and I didn’t want anyone else to
follow my lead! There’s so little info about Symlin out there that I think it’s important to share our
experiences.

Thanks for sharing, Zoe. Ain’t it the truth? There’s not much out there - we are the experimenters and the experimented upon.
But so far, so good. I just got a CGM (haven’t started it yet) but I specifically got it to help me better understand how Symlin affects my BG. I will let you know what I find out.

p.s. - Yummy Chile Rellanos recipe, pleeeeaasse!

Things change so fast. I had a more minor low at the exact time of day the next day, so I think I was dropping even without the Symlin. So since I’d been on 120mcg for a few days with no lows I’ve lowered my basal for that time period and will cautiously return to Symlin ahead of time because I like the fullness.

Last Type 1 Women’s potluck I had ,everyone asked for my recipe (for pizza) and then said never mind after they saw how much work it was but here it is: I also have a recipe for chile rellano in walnut sauce which I’ll send you if you want.

1 head garlic
12 Anaheim or poblano chiles
1C grated Cheddar
1C grated Monterey Jack
1/2 c queso fresca (can subsitute lowfat ricotta)
1 bunch cilantro chopped
1 Can black beans, rinsed and drained or 2C fresh
1/2 C raw pumpkin seads or pine nuts
6 scallions chopped
3T pureed canned chipoltle chiles in adobo sauce
2tsp ground cumin
3tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 C fresh or canned corn, broiled until caramel color
1C heavy cream
1 pint sour cream

Roast the garlic. (45 min in aluminum foil). Lay chiles on baking sheet and brush with oil. Place under broiler, turning occasionally until charred. Put in plastic bag for 15-20 min. Then peel using cold water on fingers. Remove seeds by placing small slit toward stem end and reaching in to remove. When roasted garlic is cool squeeze out the cloves and set aside.
To prepare the stuffing: preheat the oven to 325. In a bowl combine the cheeses, cilantro, black beans, pumpkin seeds, scallions, 1T of the chipotle puree and the spices. Stuff each chile and arrange in a lightly oiled baking dish. Bake 20 minutes or until filling is completely hot.
While the chiles are baking, make the sauce in a blender by pureeing the corn with the heavy cream, roasted garlic cloves and the remaining 2T of chipotle puree. Transfer to a saute pan or skillet and heat through. Serve the rellanos with sauce on top and a tablespoon of sour cream.