Symlin NOT working?

My doctor put me on Symlin to deal with my post-meal highs. Now I’ve got post-meal highs in the high 200’s and fasting numbers in the 200’s. I’ve split the boluses, stretched the boluses, delayed the boluses, and bolused early. Except for two wicked lows, I’ve seen absolutely no positive effect of this damn drug. It stings like nothing else, and there’s apparently absolutely no benefit for me. I’ve got no nausea, which is a plus, but it also makes me think that the drug just doesn’t work in me.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? It’s just so frustrating. This stupid, inconvenient drug was held up as the fix to all my problems, and it’s making me feel like more of a failure.

I hate you, diabetes.

I tried symlin for a while. Could never get past the nausea. And I hated feeling like I had to be back on injections after years of pumping. I finally decided it wasn’t worth it and stopped the symlin. Most people say it’s great. I didn’t think the pros outweighed the cons. But I might try again someday. I’m sorry that you’re having a rough time with it. Seems like you should ditch it if it’s frustrating you like this.

What kind of carb intake are you doing at meals? If bolusing early isn’t doing the trick (bolusing 20-30min early works for me), reducing your carbs to under 30g could make a real difference. Or a walk or other exercise immediately post-meal.

Are you sure your basals are set right? A fasting 200 seems like it could be a problem with your basals, too. But, when I have an infection or am under lots of stress, I can’t bring my sugar down from the low 200s. My body seems to completely reject the insulin. That was me this first week back to school (I’m a teacher - lots of stress). Are you under a lot of stress right now? What non-bolusing ways have you tried to reduce your post-meal levels?

Several members of the Symlin User’s Forum (see “Groups” to join) have expressed similar feelings that (calling it “the most annoying drug ever created” for example), while others found it tremendously beneficial … its definitely a YMMV (your mileage may vary) issue, but again, the question is whether you really have a need for it … if you can do it with insulin alone, why add another element to the equation unnecessarily … its one more thing to figure, another to carry around and/or forget, and it should be decided upon by YOUR experience, not some endo who wants to use you as a test case.