T1 and Osteoporosis drugs

If you take magnesium like many diabetics needs, it can compete for calcium receptors.

So if you take magnesium, you should take equal doses of magnesium.

I would take the drug if I was -3.5. But that’s me. At least I would try it to see if I tolerated it.

Generally speaking. Your bone density will not get better with supplements and exercise, You can only stop it from getting worse or starting in the first place

You need the drugs to actually build it back up. I wish this wasn’t true.

Timothy read about the drugs, it isn’t pretty. I have read several stories of women who have helped their numbers with exercise and supplements. I have a 30% chance of breaking a bone in the next 10 yrs, which also means that I have a 70% chance of not breaking one.

I had stopped taking calcium a couple of years ago, because of kidney stones. I am back on it along with the recommended vitamins. My fingernails which had gone from being strong have been awful the last couple of years, but now that I am back on calcium my fingernails are long and strong again.

I am going to keep working with weights and will pay much more attention where I walk and how I hold my body. If I break a bone, I will rethink my decision to not take the meds. If my doctor had encouraged me to take the meds, then I might gone with medication.

1 Like

I HATE kidney stones.

Just needed to report that

I don’t like them either but I do get them. About 11 yrs ago I needed surgery to remove a stone, but that was my lucky day because the surgeon realized that I had bladder cancer, and he was able to remove the very small polyp. I really am thankful that I had a kidney stone that needed to be removed.

1 Like

Wow, that is great he found and removed the cancer!

My mom had kidney stones years ago, hers were very painful. Then they thought that calcium was a factor but now that is not the case for all kidney stones. There are different types.

My brother found this out because he was found to have a large kidney stone that would require surgery which he will not do because of the risks. His doc and articles he read stated other factors were involved for him. He does not supplement calcium anyway but no suggestion was made to restrict dietary calcium. I think they told him to avoid oxalates instead.

I linked one article here which also says high dietary sodium is bad.

I don’t supplement calcium with pills because I have heard that can cause issues, only with diet.

Interesting. When I had my last bout with kidney stones about 1 1/2 yrs ago, the urologist said to remove food items containing calcium. Most of the food I eat is full of oxalates and I was to remove some of those foods too. I have to limit fluids and eat at a lot of salt because I have SIADH, so I Imagine I will have stones again.

Yes, kidney stones are extremely painful at least as painful as labor pains. I get stones about every ten years. Last time I had shock wave lithotripsy which wasn’t fun.
That stone was seen in an x-ray, and the urologist suggested that I might want to get it removed before it caused me pain. So it has been about 11 yrs since I have sufffered from the pain of kidney stones.

1 Like

It depends what your stone was made of. If it’s calcium, it makes sense but also can be Uric acid Chrystal’s or oxalate

Well after many broken bones I am on the Prolia and also supplementing calcium which I never thought I would do
I do try to eat more almonds tahini and prunes for natural calcium
At 65 and 53 years T1 I’m not worried about long-term side effects of any drugs anymore
Pretty focused on the quality of each day and finding myself feeling great and grateful

2 Likes

You should ask if they know what the composition of the stone is because that affects the recommendations. My mom had terrible pain because hers passed through but my brother has had no pain yet, he had urinary symptoms and blood in urine. They did an ultrasound and found a huge stone. Removing it is risky because of the size and location, it could damage his kidneys and he has not pursued treatment but follows not eating high oxalate foods. I just hope he doesn’t end up in a situation where he suddenly has terrible pain and has to go to the hospital because it is terrible- the one where he would likely end up. He has even more concerning health issues going on since my father died which are afib and bp issues now too. All under control with meds currently.

My mother did restrict her calcium a lot and she never had any more stones after that as I recall. She did not ever supplement calcium but she did eat a lot of cheese and things like that. So maybe her stones were caused by calcium or there could’ve been other factors as well that they didn’t know about, this was a long time ago.

I hope you don’t get any more. My mom said the kidney stones were more painful than labor and one of my veterinarians said that too- she went in to a hospital to give birth and a woman was screaming in the emergency room who she thought was in labor- she said oh my God is she in labor and they said no she’s passing a kidney stone and that’s much more painful than labor, lol.

1 Like

Suggested edit, equal doses of calcium.

2 Likes

I developed stones when I ate an extremely low carb low oxalates diet, and when I ate the foods that I do now which contain oxalates. I am much healthier now than I was when low carbing.

I am very aware of how painful kidney stones can be. I have had the rolling on the floor, because of being in so much pain that I required a morphine drip, type of stones.

I have several health problems that I need to balance including 63 yrs of type 1 diabetes, SIADH, hypothyroidism, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, heart disease and more.
I have to do my best to balance all of the conditions and still live a happy and healthy life.

I am 71, and plan on living as many more years as I can in good health. It isn’t like I am only 50 and dealing with these conditions.

3 Likes

I hope you can manage to balance all of it, not easy to do for sure. My mom passed her stones at home I don’t know how she could do that because I know she had a high tolerance for pain maybe. somebody I dated years ago said he had a few kidney stones that broke up and he went to the emergency room but they were arguing with him and did not want to give him pain killers even back then. I am very fearful of that now with all of the craziness surrounding opioids in this country. That we could end up in severe pain from something like that and no one will help etc. You are lucky they gave you a drip. My mom really should have been in a hospital but her crazy doctors did not do their job.

Actually I didn’t know the urologist when I was sent to him in pain. He made me have an x-ray before he would put me in the hospital and give me pain meds.

My son’s wife went to the ER just recently with a very painful back. They would only give her muscle relaxants. She went again about 8 hrs later and they finally did a scan and found out that she had a slipped disc. Finally they gave her heavy duty pain meds.

1 Like

My mothers doctors knew what was going on and just let her suffer terribly at home.

That is terrible. How long ago was that? I have had kidney stones 4 times and I was hospitalized each time by 4 different doctors. I live in a fairly small town, but I always received good care. I think I was in my 20’s when I had my first bout with kidney stones.

1 Like

My mom was in her 30’s to 40’s maybe then, so long ago that I do not remember now. I would say it had to be like 40- 50 years ago maybe. They certainly did not have a problem with giving people painkillers then like they do now so I’m not sure why that happened but it did unfortunately. I think they didn’t take seriously what was going on with her. She was also having terrible cystitis and all of those type of problems. I remember her being in the hospital for something else around that time period when she had to have a surgical procedure, but not for the kidney stones. I just don’t remember what it was now maybe a colonoscopy.