T1 For 80 Years in the UK

This man received the HG Wells medal for living with type 1 diabetes for 80 years in the UK. “Mr Whittaker, 88, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was eight-years-old, was presented with the award by Diabetes UK.” He was the first person to receive this medal. H G Wells co-founded the Diabetic Association, now known as Diabetes UK, with Dr Robert Lawrence in 1934.
The Joslin Diabetes Center also awards an 80 year medal in the US. I will be eligible for mine in 2026.

http://diabetestimes.co.uk/8971-2/#sthash.yddNnFEP.dpbs

4 Likes

Hope science can determine how these folks managed to survive the dark ages of diabetes with limited complications.

Very cool.

1 Like

Science already has determined how people survive a long time without complications despite having type 1 diabetes, and unfortunately, it is nothing that we can do anything about. What has been found that people who have an inherited protection of their DNA against damage are those who can survive type 1 diabetes for a long time without complications. See: S. Bhatt, et al., “Preserved DNA Damage Checkpoint Pathway Protects Against Complications in Long-Standing Type 1 Diabetes,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 239-252 (2015). But this raises the question whether there should be a long survivors’ medal in the first place, since it is for many people simply determined by genetic luck, and there is no reason why people should get a medal for being lucky. I am eligible for a 50-year-survival medal myself, for example, but I haven’t applied for it since I don’t think it’s appropriate.

1 Like

@Seydlitz, I understand your statement. I was eligible for the 50 year medal in 1995, but I did not apply until 2009. I saw that there was Joslin Medalist Study being done in Boston. I read about the study and wanted to participate. I needed the medal to do that. I participated that year, and again for a follow-up in June of this year. 1,020 medalists have participated, and much interesting info has been found about us long term survivors.
There are medalist meetings in Boston in odd numbered years. I attended in 2011. It was so good to be able to meet other long term T1D’s and talk to them.
There is a Facebook group for Joslin medalists. Our discussions there are very rewarding. That helps all of who have joined. It is a very private group. An employee at the Joslin Diabetes Center verifies each request for joining the group. Only medalists can join.
I am very glad that I am a medalist, for the reasons mentioned.

1 Like

Those all seem very good reasons for go for the medal.