T1 & Living Alone

One more thing on the groups issue. My problem with the groups is that it is hard to find a particular one if you don't know the right search terms.
Plus, I am concerned that once this group gets in the group mix, people will forget about it and not seek it out. I think that is why there are so many inactive groups. Plus some are, by their nature, aimed at a small subset.

I asked for this group because I think that there are enough diabetics who live alone to make it reasonably active. I have seen one figure that one in seven adults in the U.S. lives alone. I recently read that one-half of Manhattan residents live alone. I have no idea about the accuracy of either of those stats. I know that in my family in mine and the next generation of close relatives, five of us live alone, due to deaths. None live in my state though.
I don't have too much concern about not having topics to discuss, even over time.

If we could have a solution to make the active groups more accessible, I think that would help a lot. Maybe those that have been inactive for one year could be archived. They could be reactivated if there was new interest. That still would leave a large number of groups, I presume. Frankly, I don't know much about the structure of the groups so I am not able to talk too intelligently about the issue.

Nell,

In case you or anyone else needs it, Phillips Lifeline is the company that offers that type of alert system. It's more expensive than others. Their Auto Alert system costs $45/month. I got it for my mother. It works sensing a rapid fall.

so that probably would not work for a sleeping person who goes into a dangerous low because they won't be falling. At least, I have never fallen out of bed when low!
But thanks for the info on the company and the price. I actually know someone who needs that, for non-diabetes reasons!

My mother's had excellent service with them. Someone has to have a key to let EMS in, if needed. Or, there has to be lockbox on the door with a code.

For assistance with a low, someone could their use regular service & push a button.

Gerri, you bring up something I think about often when I'm home alone - if I needed help and was alert enough to call 911, could they get in?

We have a gate across the driveway to the back of the house and a storm door on the front door that we keep locked, along with a security system. So it's all very secure...but is that a good thing if I need medical assistance? This is the type of thing I drive myself crazy with.

That's a real consideration. EMS does break down doors if they need to get in. I asked about that regarding my mother in case her first & second responder weren't available with the key. She lives in an apartment building & her apt door is heavy steel (fire safety). Not easy to break through.

Don't know how it works in your part of the country. Here, the paramedics warn you that it's a good idea to leave a way in. Otherwise, they will break in, and you will have a homeowners insurance claim to file.

actually, we are all alone, aren't we? Of course, I understand if you live with a spouse or children it's not quite the same but I think everyone could be interested in the topic.

LADA, living alone. I’d be interested. Its a challenging life.

I have approval to set the group up but have not been home this morning and need a few more hours to do other things. So will try to get it done by tonight.

I will call it "Living Alone with Diabetes" instead of the T1 since other types are interested.
And, I understand that some of you live alone part of the week and would have some of the same concerns as an "aloner" during those times.
And, I agree that each person is basically 'alone' with any chronic or acute illness but if you have a spouse or partner or sibling or other relative living with you, at least that person can call 911 if needed.(!) So there are some differences....in my opinion that is. I look forward to all the many discussions that I hope we have with this group.

Thanks, Nell. That’s a good name choice. It’s more inclusive.