T1 & Overweight Before Pregnancy?

Has anyone experienced being overweight before getting pregnant? I've read horrible things about pregnant T1's w/ weight issues. My Endo tells me that I carry my weight wonderfully and not to concern myself with it. Please let me know if you experienced being overweight before getting pregnant and how everything turned out. Thank you so much!

Hi Maden,

My BMI when I got pregnant with my twins 5 years ago was 26, considered overweight. I didn't notice any impact of diabetes on my weight gain. I didn't have a perfect diet by no means, but was lucky not to crave donuts at 2 am or anything like that. I gained 50 lbs., while pregnant, but dropped about 20lbs when the boys were born. The next 20 lbs came off fairly easily over the next 3 months (breastfeeding helps); then once I stopped breastfeeding I actively tried to lose the last few lbs, and get down to a healthier BMI. For me, portion sizes seem to have the biggest impact as well as eating out, which I didn't do much of when on mat leave with 2 little ones.

I think your doc is right, don't worry just eat moderately and be active after; you'll be fine.

Charlene

Hi Charlene!

Thank you so much! I'm been overly stressed about this. It's so helpful to hear what others have experienced. I've heard that it's not typical for a T1 to be overweight, so not many T1's have experienced being overweight before pregnancy. I just hope I can relax about this issue.

~Maden