T1D and weight-loss drugs

I stand corrected. The comments made by naturopath, Tyna Moore, in the video linked above, back up your experience. It sounds like you use semaglutide from a compounding pharmacy and are not on the Ozempic titration schedule. Possibly taking a much smaller dose compared to Ozempic.

There’s obviously going to be a range of experience of diabetics using this peptide. I fear for the people who are taking this treatment and are not making any lifestyle changes at all. In other words no changes to diet, exercise, sleeping or stress relief.

Pharmaceuticals often cannot be used to improve health in the long run and usually bring with them undesirable effects that require even more drugs. I have zero experience with GLP-1 peptides but look at my 40 year history with the life-saving exogenous hormone, insulin. It wasn’t until year 28 that I figured out that lifestyle factors were the essential transformative catalyst that made it successful for me.

I look to people like you, Sheryl, to share your more nuanced path in using semaglutide successfully long term. I wish you the best of luck.

1 Like

Never been diagnosed with any of those conditions and my digestion is not too bad. Eat low carb and bolus before all carbs - gauge it pretty accurately as my A1C is 115-120 on a regular basis. But this limited liquids thing causes me stress as I’ve found liquids are good for my skin and the eczema I sometimes experience. But that is pretty minimal now too. I have a very adaptable body that has done very well through 54 years of T1D. Low salt is the issue now but I changed from a blood pressure pill with a diuretic to one without now - will likely fix my salt problem. Blood pressure is pretty good - 120/64. Really bothers me when docs try to treat one part of my condition without considering its impact on T1D.

1 Like

But I think that is constant use - do not do that cause a break from it is so important too. Body needs to recoup and get back to regular functioning. Short time frames work best - only go on it now for 2 months at a time, 6 week break then back on again. Don’t need to loose weight so that is not the issue - for those experiencing obesity, would also suggest they do maybe 3 months at a time then break.

So good to hear! Am taking Semaglutide low dose, zero side effects at all but really helps to keep my blood sugar from going above 140. Still get some spikes but never as extreme when I do not use it.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have discussed with my endocrinologist, primary care provider and cardiologist.

1 Like

Yes, @Terry4 - it is from a compounding pharmacy, that much I know!
This man that we see when I’m in the USA is a naturopath and a medical doctor also. Everything he prescribes results from knowledge gained from both his naturopath and medical experience.
But I always take a break from the Semaglutide. It was not suggested I do this but have just found it helps to keep my T1D cool if I approach all things in this manner.
Am currently post-menopausal but used the same approach when I was pre-menopausal. Went on hormones for a while, took a break then have recently gone back to them now as there is so little research done on women at this point in their lives.
I really do enjoy myself on this board as there is no nastiness or extreme criticism - we’re all trying to find the best ways via the experience of everyone else. And practitioners too.

Cheers,
Sheryl

2 Likes

In my home town here (Edmonton, Alberta) there is a researcher who is developing a way to take the DNA of T1Ds and grow islet cells in our very own livers. Because it is taken from our DNAs, no anti-rejection drugs are necessary! Not too far away from release but then they may end up costing $5 million each! :rofl: :laughing: :upside_down_face:

I have been on various versions of these meds for almost 10 years - started with Victoza (daily injection), then Trulicity (weekly injection but very painful to me), now Ozempic (the past 2-3 years).

They have all helped me eat less and therefore I have lost weight and kept it off - I lose more weight by tracking my calories, since weight loss essentially comes down to calories in vs. calories out.

There is a lot of fear-mongering out there. I would not listen to what a “naturopath” has to say. Listen to ACTUAL medical experts.

3 Likes

As I mentioned, my DOCTOR in the USA is also a naturopath - has both designations. I went to a Nurse Practitioner (nurses who are licensed to prescribe medications) during menopause for using hormones. Doctor was also in their clinic and reviewed all diagnoses and prescriptions. Always go the way of safety - never take risks with my health. This is demonstrated by my 54 years of T1D with no extreme complications. Issues I do have are those in regard to psoriasis and eczema. Recently read it may have something to do with low iron levels. Have never taken iron supplements but if that may help I will do that too but will check to make sure there are not complications that may result from too much iron.

That’s great you are being taken care of. There are people out there who claim to be able to do things outside of their scope of practice, and it puts people in harm’s way, so I am always skeptical. (I have seen it myself, with chiropractors overstepping and causing harm to patients I have seen myself, as an audiologist.)

I have been taking iron supplements for years, since I donate blood regularly and the Red Cross recommends it for regular donors. Thankfully no issues there. I figure we just do the best we can until something better comes along!

2 Likes

Agree with you for sure. As I’m T1D, am not able to donate blood here in Canada. Always wanted to donate blood but the Red Cross says no to T1Ds here. Worked in Epidemiology and Virology for 3 years before the pandemic began and have witnessed such unfortunate ‘opinions’ regarding vaccinations these days. Now we have polio, german measles, dengue and other diseases popping up all over the place.

3 Likes

I haven’t posted here in a long while. Logged in to answer a PM & saw this discussion.
My daughter has been using semaglutide for almost a year now. Dxd T1 at age 11, PCOS at 13, Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism at 20. She’s now 25 & has been overweight since about 15. Lower carb the entire time & has followed an exercise plan (with & without a personal trainer) since she was 18. PCOS has been a nightmare. Extreme insulin resistance & tons of hormone issues.
Her Endo suggested Ozempic last June. Since then, her weight has gone from 191 to 130. TDD has gone from 130-150units/day to 35u/day avg. Her most recent hormone panel was almost normal. We’ve never seen that before. She’s still lower carb (40-60g per day), still works out regularly. What I found interesting was how her insulin needs dropped even before the weight loss.
Her Endo provided samples until February, since her insurance wouldn’t cover it. They wanted him to certify she was T2. When he ran out of samples she went to my Dr, who arranged compounded semaglutide. She can’t tell any difference between them. She never increased the dosage (.25 starter dose) & since switching to compounded she takes it twice a month. Her TDD has not changed. Her weight is good. If she continues to lose she’ll cut back to once a month.
She’s careful not to eat past the initial full feeling. She pays close attention to nutrient content & takes a daily multivitamin. No nausea. No constipation/diarrhea.
I hope you find something useful in my comments.

6 Likes

Thank-you for posting about your daughter’s positive experience using semaglutide. Using lower doses than the typical weight-loss case plus using a compounding pharmacy is rarely mentioned in the voluminous coverage of this medication.

Your daughter’s success seems remarkable to me. I suspect she is quite content with the multiple positive outcomes. Her experience plus the reports I’ve read of others like her have moderated my perception of this cultural juggernaut.

1 Like

Rules in Canada were changed 3 years ago, and now allow T1’s to donate. Donating Blood with Type 1 Diabetes in Canada | Connected in Motion

3 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this @Brian_J - I had no idea!

Would love to donate some blood - do you know if they check T1D’s blood sugar levels first? My most recent A1C was 110 mg/dl (USA) or 6.0 mmol/L (Canadian). My blood sugar truly goes up and down all the time!!! :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I have donated with the Red Cross for 20 years and they do NOT check blood sugar first. Once, I asked what happens if I donate with high blood sugar. I forget what they said but apparently it wasn’t anything to worry about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I this case I think the recipient’s own insulin would kick in pretty fast! But I do know that non-diabetic blood sugars go up and down all the time! Is consistent in that so many people now use CGMs as a way to keep an eye on their own blood sugar levels. A friend used a CGM for 7 days to see how different foods could impact her weight loss goal - her blood sugar went up and down all day long! Discovered pasta made her blood sugar go crazy and got up to 218mg/11mmol/L. :thinking:

Oh yes - absolutely! Personally like to use semaglutide for about 3 months at a time, then take a break for 2 months. They also say it’s beneficial for our kidneys too. :slightly_smiling_face:

For those using old insulins from cows, they prohibited donations due to mad cow disease.

1 Like

Indeed. I remember the cow in question.