T1Ds Misdiagnosed As T2

unfortunately, this type of thing happens everyday and not just with diabetes

1 Like

Hi, I am very interested in this discussion … I am a 31 yr old female (soon to be 32 this month) who was dx as T2 in March based on an a1c test that my new Dr. decided to run when I went in for yearly labs.
Anyway, I was first put on metformin 500mg but when I took him my numbers sheet a month later he said it looked like it wasnt’t working well as intended (in spite of me loosing 10 lbs that month from cutting carbs and exercise) so he put me on Janumet as well as doubling the metformin, have been on these for a couple of months now and not seeing very much improvement despite further weight loss.
So after doing some research online I found out about LADA. I am very curious about this to see if I have it because I have 2 auto immune conditions chronically since I was 12 (alopecia universalis which resulted in all hair and body hair falling out and is still gone to this day) and horrible psoriasis also. My family also has a long history with auto immune conditions, my mom has 4 currently as does my grandmother, my aunt and uncle who are on my mothers side also have 2 each currently. So I asked my Dr. about this and he said he wasnt very familiar with it but would do some research and we could do the c-peptide and gad and antibody testings at my next visit at the end of july. I am happy that he didnt laugh at my concerns about this but I am very anxious about this because right now basically I feel like its my fault that I got diabetes (I am about 60 lbs overweight and have been since my hair fell out at 12 it caused me horrible depression growing up) and while I know that regardless of whether its t1 1.5 or 2 I still have to take care of myself it just would be nice to know that maybe some of this was already in my body for a long time instead of being guilty feeling since the world seems to think everyone with t2 are horrible people who did something wrong

Hi Ksadair: Is there any chance that you could see an endocrinologist that specializes in diabetes? That might help you get to a correct diagnosis.

I will have to see. I could get in sooner to see dr but I have transportation issues I don’t drive myself because I was born 3.5 months early and am blind In one eye and the other is not so great.