T2s Treated by Diet and Exercise Only : Is it worth saving the remaining b-cells of your pancreas?

Is it really?

Sure, why wouldn’t it be?

Well, you better hope so… for once you loose it all? It isn’t just needing insulin or Alittle more insulin . It changes the whole ball game , for the worse.

> Needing More Insulin = Making More Mistakes = having more Hyper’s and Hypo’s
> You auto-immune system deteriates more & faster, your alot less resistant to fight off infections…
Ave is -25% less Resistance for In control T1’s (<6% A1c’s) and more for those Not In Control
> And if you don’t fight this D&mn Disease 110%, 100% of the time and do the best to keep yourself in the best shape? You’re not going to be able to benefit from the Major improvements that are comming…

They may not be cures, but they sure will be as dramtic of an improvement as comparing what we used to have to do just 10-20 yrs ago vs today… We might even be able to just Go in and get 1 shot of New Islet cells every month and that’s it! until a total cure is found… Keep the faith Baby!

Why wouldn’t it be good to save beta cells or prevent further beta cell burn out? Not sure I understand your point.

I was diagnosed Feb. 2009 with a fasting blood sugar of 366 and A1C of 14.1. I made lots of changes to my diet and 6 weeks later my blood sugar readings were approaching normal numbers. I quit the meds after 7 weeks and have not had to take any since.

My A1C went from 14.1 to 5.9 in 4 months and all the rest have been under 6.0 for the last year and a half. My lowest last September 2010 was 5.2. I have read lots of stories on Dlife where people have been controlling their blood sugar with diet and or exercise for 10 years or more. I am hoping to be able to keep my blood sugar under A1C 6.0 for the rest of my life. Other people are doing it so I should be able to also.

I believe as long as I can control my blood sugar below an A1C of 6.0 that my pancreas should not suffer any further damage. At least that’s what I’m hoping. If not, I already decided to use insulin if the day comes where I can no longer control with diet and exercise.

I suffered from all the side effect of the oral meds and decided I will no longer put my body threw such a terrible ordeal. I believe that oral meds do a lot of damage and over time will have a negative effect on my liver and kidneys.

Yes… Saving beta cells extends our health for longer, keeps our immune systems going, and avoiding complications and medications which have very detrimental side effects (not unlike the side effects high blood sugars already bring.) Every little thing every Diabetic does should be with the purpose of extending our good health, and life for one more day/month/year/decade to spend with our families/loved ones/friends. The longer we can extend good health, and good control, the better. Plus, the medications add an extra expense to Diabetic care. If one can avoid that expense for a little while, too… That’s desirable.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I feel the same way about meds and insulin.

If you don’t you may need tonnes of injected insulin that will make you extremely obese.

Thanks Liz, this is the line I was taking.
Giving in to insulin therapy (which is still fine) is an option.
Or working with those b-cells (or whats left), to drag this thing out as far as one best can, is also an option.

I told you that you have alot of insight!

I just hope one day our children can be educated about all this stuff- just to give them the best fighting chance, whatever their (genetic, etc) situation

nice work!

I know you weren’t asking for type 1’s opinions, but i gotta say that I wish I still had some beta cells doing some of the work. My honeymoon phase was nice and I thought ‘okay diabetes isn`t so hard.’ It’s much harder to manage now.

sure. good luck samantha.

I agree, any bit of beta cell function helps in blood sugar control. I do not remember much of my honeymoon phase, but type 1s in the honeymoon who produce the tiniest bit of insulin find control MUCH easier than later on when they produce zero insulin. This question sort of boggles my mind, as why wouldn’t it be worth preserving if you get the chance?

If the idea is that using insulin is “easier” than controlling with diet and exercise, this isn’t true. They are both hard. There is a common belief that insulin users can “eat whatever they want,” but this isn’t really true, either. Put a CGMS on a type 1 (or type 2) with zero insulin production and put one on a type 2 controlling with diet and exercise alone and comapre their blood sugar graphs, and I bet even if the insulin-dependent person stuck to the same strict diet and exercise regimen as the type 2 they would have far more variable blood sugars. A type 1 who “eats whatever they want” (even while covering food with insulin) would have the same massive swings in blood sugar as the type 2 who chooses to do the same while controlling with diet/exercise or oral medications, because even rapid-acting injected insulin is SUPER SLOW acting compared to naturally-produced insulin.

About the only “advantage” of insulin (in my opinion) is that it provides a way to bring blood sugars down fairly fast. The flip side of this is that it also puts you at risk of serious (potentially life-threatening) lows. Also, if your beta cells aren’t producing any insulin you are at much higher risk of DKA, which is also life-threatening. The short-term risks of diabetes become much greater, not to mention the long-term risks of complications with more variable blood sugars since you don’t have any help from your own beta cells to “fine tune” things.

Anyway, didn’t mean to ramble so much. :slight_smile: Of course, for me as a type 1 insulin keeps me alive I have no choice, but I think those that DO have a choice (at least for the time being) should take full advantage of it and make it last as long as possible.

The life threatening lows for type 1 are not life threatening for type 2 usually our glucagon system still works plus IR helps. In my case they may be annoying and can ruin the rest of the day but hardly life threatening.

Actually, serious lows are the same for any diabetic (T1 or T2) on exogenous insulin or any drug (like a Sulfonylurea) that forces insulin production. Normally a type 2 (not on insulin) will counterregulate smoothly against a low with a glucagon secretion and a mild correction when the body drops below about 70 mg/dl. Insulin suppresses the counterregulation response, the more insulin present, the more suppression. A T1 (or T2 on insulin) will often counterregulate, but at a lower blood sugar and with a “harsh” counterregulation resulting in a rebound high, often into the 300s, thereby ruining the rest of the day as well.