Talking with medical professionals

Does anybody here know about much about ketostix?

I read somewhere (I clicked off it already) that they measure acetoacetate only and NOT acetone nor beta-hydroxybutyrate.

All three contribute to keytosis as in DKA and/or metabolic acidosis.

I don’t recall the many details of ketosis beyond a cursory level. So, I don’t know, for instance, exactly when one would show a high serum keytone level or a high hospital urine lab for keytones (measuring all three types) but a negative or scant home urine dipstick. I think it would be rare.

Short of looking it up, because it probably wouldn’t be fast, does anybody know?

I have been practicing this. I think its more difficult to talk to someone about something that you know a lot about, rather than something you might not have much to say about. I was surprised about that. Someone else, with another chronic illness reminded me that some people dont have any experience with disability and so you have to really take baby steps and walk them through it gradually. Seemed like good advice.

By the way, I was supposed to speak for 30 min and I went for an hour. Whoops! :blush: But, they were the best audience ever.

HEY Sally. I would like to talk to to. I have had Type 1 since 22 months of age. I am 49, had a stroke, open heart surgery, a brain injury. I am fine now, 3 years later. It would be really nice to get to know you. My first name is Amy

So sorry it’s taken me so long with my follow up. I have famines town this week and haven’t turned on any computers/tablets.
And thanks again for all your suggestions. It was a group of about 20 first year medical students. So the endo that was talking about technology and diabetes, had to give a quick overview of diabetes as these students have had no training of diabetes or endocrinology.
So the talk started with first insulin in 1921, test strips, blood testing meter, pumps, CGMs, and future technology like DIY pumps and hopefully true closed loop systems.
I got to talk about my diagnosis a bit, test tube urine testing, blood testing with strips(and cotton balls & cutting strips to make them last longer), blood testing meters, insulin pumps & infusion sets and of course ending with CGM and my next pump, and I got in DOC!
I got to listen to the patient end of the session before us which was hip/knee replacements. (Sure hope I never have to do that one!)
Was very happy to see the engagement with the students. They asked us both a lot of questions vs no questions for the ortho doctor and patient. Our technology is pretty cool and moving so fast. Not sure how it went. I will see the endo when I attend the TCOYD conference this month or my next trial appointment, which ever comes first.
So thanks again for all your help.

I’m so glad to hear that it went well, @Sally7! Thank you for promoting the advancement of diabetes care through the years!

Really good point to ask them to first put up hands if THEY are diabetic, to check and then ask those who only live with someone else who is diabetic, but get a different showing of hands for that as it is different.

oops sorry, didn’t see that you already have had the session

Thanks for circling back to let us know how it went–sounds like you did great!

:heart_eyes:

Too bad though–that was a great suggestion!

I’m sorry that you feel that way. I was diagnosed in 1987 at the age of 29. within a year I was in a new role, traveling around the world many times per year. A different country every week, sometimes every day. Including new food and time zone changes never ending. Yet my endocrinologist said he had never seen anyone control their blood sugar so well. Carb Counting, and I should say guesstimating sometimes, and checking my sugars 8 to 10 times a day on average kept my A1C always no higher than 6.9. last month’s check was 5.9.

I went to an insulin pump on January 1st 2000, and a Dexcom CGM one year ago in October.

I don’t find it difficult to be a diabetic, it’s just who I am and I manage it, rather than letting it manage me.

I realize that everyone is different, but to preach how difficult it is to be a diabetic is a broad sweeping statement that doesn’t fit me at minimum. In fact, I talk to many non-diabetics and tell them that being a diabetic is not that tough at all as long as you have the right mindset.