Tandem / Animas / Roche - Welcome Program

Good luck! Please let me know if you get a different response! I was so hopeful that I would qualify for a new pump once my warranty was terminated through Animas. What a disappointment.

I have been rattling cages this morning. Tandem is holding a meeting about this issue and the rep promised to let me know as soon as they know how to handle this. Apparently it is the reluctance of Medicare and insurance companies to make pump expenditures any sooner than the expiration date on the bought pumps. Medicare patients donā€™t qualify for the $999 Tandem program either. I feel this is outright discrimination and coercion against seniors on Medicare. So what was the point of Animas offer to buy back their pumps? Abrogation of liability? Herding Animas users to Medtronics, our only option at this time? I hate to be manipulated in this fashion!

1 Like

My cage rattling came to nothing. Situation is still the same. Tandem is pursuing the issue with Medicare but, apparently they are unrelenting. Bottom line is that they will not pay for more than one insulin pump every 5 years. And, of course, the supplementary insurance has to follow suit.

The only solution offered is the same one as beforeā€¦ pay for the pump yourself. The supplies and insulin will be paid for under Medicare Part B. So at least that is good.

I am totally disheartened by the unfairness of the situation. I really, REALLY hate to be backed into a corner.

Well that stinks. Initially the Tandem offer made to Animas users was to ā€œleaseā€ a t:slim for $999 then apply that money toward the purchase of a new pump. If they brought that offer back, I would immediately take advantage of it. Itā€™s too bad itā€™s no longer offered.

As luck would have it the case on my Animas Vibe broke last night near the battery cap so it wonā€™t acknowledge the new battery. I had my old Animas Ping and thankfully it still works! The screen is hard to read but I think I can manage. I also made several calls this morning only to know that I canā€™t get the Tandem t:slim X2 until after Oct. 27, 2019 when my Vibe warranty is up. I am praying the Ping will keep working until then! I just signed up for the $750 Animas return program and will send my Vibe back to them. It is disheartening that there are so few options because Medicare canā€™t accept real life issues. I have been Type 1 for 65 years, diagnosed when I was 5 in 1954. I have lots of T1D complications however I think what is hardest for me is the constant fighting with Medicare and insurance issues to have the supplies, etc. that are needed. Good luck ti everyone getting through this transition time!

2 Likes