Tandem: is there concensus on reusing or extending life of cartridges, sensors?

@SusanS

Download this unlocked version of the app:

And then you’ll have to manually install it via a process called “side loading”. I’ll provide a general link on how to do so, but if you Google your exact make and model of phone (or even just the Android version) plus the phrase “sideload app”, google will give you the exact directions. It’s really not difficult, I promise.

The easiest way to do it is to first allow your phone to install from unknown sources. Pull down from the top of your screen to expand your quick-access menu items and expand your notification bar. Pull down a second time on that quick-access menu (the round icons for things like wifi and Bluetooth). After that second swipe, you should now see an expanded quick-access menu with a gear icon in the lower right-hand corner. Click on that gear icon to open your settings menu. There should be a search bar at the top of that settings menu. Just type in the phrase “unknown sources” and turn the check box on the the “install from unknown sources” option.

Once you’ve clicked on my first link with the Dexcom file and enabled the option for unknown sources, you should be able to pull down your notification bar again and see an item that says something like “DexcomG6.apk downloaded”. If you click on that item, your phone should ask you if you want to install the file. Confirm that you do, and you’ll be in business.

1 Like

I have an LG V60 thin dual screen. I just got xDrip+ to load (took me 2 days to find the right program) but I’m not getting readings yet. I turned off the Dexcom receiver. So I am waiting to see if it just needs a little time to find itself.

Check that it is paired to transmitter in xdrip, under system status and your phone bluetooth paired devices. Will show as DexcomXX, with XX is your last 2 transmitter letters.

On right side in xDrip, 3 dot menu, check event log for messages.

I got my pump training via Zoom. With all these Covid restrictions Tandems CDE’s will do all of the training online and it’s really pretty easy to learn. It was set up for 2 one hour long sessions but each session only lasted about half an hour for me since I was well prepared and had watched plenty of videos about all of the loading and insertion process.

1 Like

It just needed a little time. Its working. Thanks so much.

1 Like

Great to hear.

I like that xDrip shows how many minutes from reading and delta +/- number of bg points. Also, under History you can see averages for past 1-14 days, along with A1C estimate and other stats.

I use Ionic fitbit watch and check xDrip data with flick of my wrist !! (With phone within range).

Many like the Note/treatment options of xDrip, with optional voice entry but I don’t use it.

I change my infusion set every 3-4 days. I fill my cartridge every 6-7 days. I use either Humalog or Novolog. No problems with glucose control.

1 Like

3ml cartridge reuse?: good practice / bad practice / economics based practice… : I’m sure someone in past years, has tried this with the t:slim 3ml cartridge, refill & reuse?

This is what I’m doing. One fill lasts me 3 days. Using the TruSteel infusion set is supposed to be for only 2 days. I have not had any problems with it and so far, no one has yelled at me for doing it this way.

1 Like

For the 4 years I used a Tandem t:flex with a 480U cartridge, I always filled it completely and used it for anywhere from 5 to 7 days (depending on diet/exercise) using either Novolog or Humalog. Not so with Fiasp. 2-1/2 days and occlusions started 100% of the time.

As an aside, I’m on my second vial of Lyumjev in my t:slim and I find it lasts only 2-1/2 days, compared to 3 days with Fiasp and 3-1/4 days with Novolog or Humalog.

The conversation about reusing cartridges causes me to ask a question I have been pondering for some time. I get 3 fills from a vial. After the last fill, I have probably 50-60 units left in the vial. Does anyone think it would be OK if I let the contents of the last fill get down to maybe 200 remaining units, then add the last bit from the vial to the cartridge in use? Using sterile technique, of course.

1 Like

While I’m not using a Tandem, the old Medtronic pump I have has a plastic reservoir which I only change out every 10th or 15th refill (several weeks).

I change the site every 72 hours but reuse the reservoir and line for extended periods with no issues at all (Humalog only - this doesn’t work with Fiasp).

I’ve always done that with my Cozmo, & the 2ml Animas: fill the cartridge with the tail end of vial#1, & complete the cartridge fill with new vial#2.
However: that was prior to the recommendation by my CDE (2weeks ago), about the “de-naturing of INSULIN Humalog in plastic”; AND any really focused attention that my control was not impaired by suspect aged insulin, denatured in plastic cartridge over 8 days cartridge capacity.
I never reused tubing.
During that time, I confess my TIR was never as good as it CURRENTLY is with CGM.