Tandem pump users

Been on this pump about a year now…has anyone had a lot of technical difficulties with this pump? Either bent cannulas which led to dka, bad sites or the leur lock connection always coming loose from rubbing against abdomen /clothes? (The last one makes me always nervous and checking connection /priming tubing in case of air…seems very high maintenance? Time for another pump?

Hi @sweetgal88! I don’t have a year on my Tandem pump yet, but once I sorted out the best cannula length for me I have had no cannula problems. I originally used the 9mm, and terrible difficulties. Switched to the 6mm and had 3 bent cannulas in 6 months. Switched again to steel sets and have not had a problem since. I have nver had a Luer lock (or T:Lock) come loose yet. Possibly because I really tighten the lock before I prime the set. The only bad site issues I have had were from bent cannulas.

Hope this answers some questions for you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here and there you will find people who had constant trouble with the pump. Some of us were able to get a refund. The reason was constantly rising BG after about the second day of use of a cartridge. Seemed to be due to the bladder type cartridge system or low basal doses. All I know is there are bloggers out there who had the problem and Tandem was willing to help us out, if we had good documentation. Nice pump, great service but it didnt work for me and I have met others online with the same issues.

1 Like

Hi, I have been on the Tandem G4 pump since July 2017 and have had a very positive experience with it. The only issues I had were bad sites, which I believe were caused from using the same sites I used for multiple daily injection for +30 years. Right now I use Tandem Auto Soft 90 sets with 9mm cannula. Luer lock and t:lock have both worked perfectly for me. As far as site placement goes I moved from my abdomen to my hips, sides below the ribs, my back close to kidney location and the back of my upper arms. Since I am fairly new to pump use I have not run into a lot of problems many have experienced, but I am very glad I switched to a pump after nearly 50 years of injections. If you can get the pump to work for you your diabetes control should be better than without it, at least that is my hope for you.

1 Like

I think you should try out other pumps, they all have issues and are not all the same. Give Medtronic a call and tell them you are dissatisfied with Tandem and want to switch, I know they do give out loaner pumps. OmniPod also has trial offers. Try everything, some pumps work better for some people over others.

2 Likes

Been pumping for 27 years and last 3 with Tandem. I have an older t:slim and I also had some issues in the beginning. But after switching to metal infusion sets, no problems at all. I was a MiniMed/Medtronic user before but have been very happy with the change. I am up for a new pump right now, but am just sitting and waiting to see when another AP type pump hits the market or I can get into a clinical trial.
I also suggest seeing if you can get a trial run with the different pumps out there. Many like the newer Tandem pumps have CGM capabilities which could help with DKA issues. I would call the different companies you might be interested in and see if they can help. Sorry you are having such a bad time with Tandem. Thank goodness most of us have choices.

1 Like