Tandem won't let me try an X2 prior to purchase

You could run it until it completely dies.

Keep MDI for backup. Should your old pump actually have complete failure, then immediately switch to MDI while you then decide which pump. Potentially the options available and/or the features on the pumps available and/or company policies may have changed during the extended running of your out-of-warranty pump such that your ultimate decision may be different.

This was our plan while on the Animas Ping when the warranty expired. At that point in time, we were just not comfortable making any decision so we continued to run the Animas Ping with support but without warranty. If the pump died then we would immediately switch to MDI. We did that for two years. At that point, we did come to a decision about which pump to switch to prior to the Animas Ping completely failing.

We always have Lantus and Humalog pens in the fridge.

@Dave44
Yep. Ultimate backup for a pump.

Yet there are many older 522, 523 pumps, definitely out of warranty for years, being used by OpenAPS and Loop users.

If your current 530 pump breaks after warranty, you could consider purchasing used pumps, w/o warranty though.

Where could I purchase a used one?

Don’t remember off hand, but the openAPS website listed some options for finding older pumps.

I am also one who doesn’t worry about a pump out of warranty. In my first 22 years I was with Minimed/Medtronic and in that time frame I had 3 different pumps. Now of them died, I just every once in awhile was talked into upgrading. Most times the upgrade wasn’t something that got me so excited but I figured why not. This last pump change was one I wanted very much. I went Tandem 4 years ago and it was the older t:slim. And of course when the X2 came out I was a little frustrated as I could have waited. But that being said, I got to the end of the war and upgraded to a pump that I hope, I can ride into the ground. It is upgradable so there would no reason for a new one! I really have no problem using a pu pump out of warranty as long as it working, why not?!

It also seems like the electronics are being updated at a faster point now. I just switched to Dexcom and think the Libre might be enticing me back next year. In Europe they are adding adjustable alarms for lows and highs, besides now having a 14 wear time on the sensor. It would also eliminate that extra 3rd item, the transmitter that the Dexcom has. But the Dexcom I think is working on communicating with the Omnipod so…I can’t see me ever switching from Omnipod easily because of it being tubeless, but then I’ve heard some others are working on tubeless too.

While the Libre had been off, I’ve found the Dexcom to be off too and am still calibrating it and am doing more finger sticking than I have for a while. I am wondering if I have to do that with each sensor or it figures it out eventually? Because generally the Libre if it was off 20 points, it stayed off 20 points, but my Dexcom was close to only 5 points off and then it went back to being off 20 plus points.

ebay dot com
medwow dot com
buyer be super beware
crap (am I allowed to say that?) and scammers and fraudsters everywhere

You could probably get some good advice from people here who have successfully gone down that route.

too pricey for me. a 530 is $1,500. I think a fully funded X2 would be my better bet. :slight_smile:

I’m using an old MM722 pump to run Loop. That pump was donated to me from a member of a Facebook pay-it-forward group. I bought a back-up 772 for $400 through a member of the Facebook Looped group.

The 722 I’m using just keeps running and running. It’s now provided me with over 26 months of glitch-free service. I started on MiniMed pumps back in 1987 through 2008. I found them to be sturdy and steady performers. They definitely have more life in them than is commonly used.

I know it might seem strange to people who have only used in-warranty pumps before, but many of these older pumps are capable of delivering much more service than the warranty period.

The prices for loopable pumps have been pushed higher but I imagine the non-loopable pumps would be much less expensive. The challenge is to connect with someone who wouldn’t mind selling or even gifting their old pump that is sitting dusty and unused in someone’s shoe-box clutter.

Good info Terry.

I think what I’ll do is (presuming my pump doesn’t quit in the meantime) get the X2 and see how well it works with the G6, and make sure it doesn’t have occlusion alarm issues, something I can’t tolerate. Using my 530G, and the same sets I’d use with an X2, I get about 1 occlusion every 1-2 years. Of course, as I’ve said before, I’m waiting for Control IQ to be blessed by Medicare.

If the X2 presents too many issues for me, then I’ll look into how to most cheaply buy a used Medtronic 5/730G or earlier. Something other than the newer ones.