Technology Breakdowns

I’m fairly new here. What is MDI?

Esther2

Multiple Daily Injections - aka, injection therapy, as opposed to pump therapy.

I’m so sorry to hear about this. I’m prepping my son for another trip to Europe without me, and the backups of the backups drives home the vulnerability of all the technology he uses. We’ve been conditioned to plan for everything to fail and to be prepared! Or at least try to. Seems like we always overlook something!

1 Like

This really speaks to me.

Caleb starting Looping last spring. It is complicated!! At the time, it seemed manageable, and it truly is. He went to Italy for about 2 weeks with a bunch of strangers and having the help of Loop overnight was crucial. He came home and continued Looping into the fall. When he continued to forget to change his sites, he went back to OmniPod and has been managing wonderfully since.

He’s back to Looping for another trip, and while the security of the overnight is worth the aggravation, there is indeed aggravation and lots of new failure points to think about, plan for, and protect against. I have a new perspective getting going on this for the second time - the novelty factor is gone, which I think made me more tolerant of Looping’s quirks.

I look forward to a closed loop system that truly takes the thinking out of diabetes management. I find that Looping and Podding each have their advantages and drawbacks. I can’t speak to MDI - Caleb did it for about three months when he was 3 and newly diagnosed and not since.

1 Like

Especially when emails are not answered and their PORTALS are even worse in getting a response.
Therefore, we are left with fighting our way thru the unending automated PHONE MENUs in hopes of finally talking to a HUMAN who can handle an issue without disconnecting us during a transfer to XXXXX. OR put on HOLD waiting for ANYONE to answer. Now you need another doctor for another medical condition - cauliflower ear.

Me too! I ordered my Tslim2 the day the fda approved predictive lows. Seemed like the hassle factor will be less. We’ll see.n

when i began using insulin there was only a choice of beef or pork derivatives, not the fancy stuff we have today. so, i can really appreciate the high tech devices and the multitude of insulins, both basal and fast acting. to me, IMHO, if you’ve got to be D, this is the time in era to be D. :smile:

3 Likes

When I started I used Tes Tapes, animal insulins, no meter, no pump, not even pens.

2 Likes

I rate myself a lucky diabetic. When diagnosed in 1977 all I had was test tubes to pee into and tablets to drop in them which changed colour if you were high.

But before I needed insulin in '81 Boehringer Mannheim had brought out the first BM sticks so over the next 35 years I kept my HbA1c to 6.5 or below.

My next bit of luck was that when I needed to be revived by a paramedic in Feb '16 I found that Dexcom had just launched in the UK so I got full on CGM with alarms. So my HbA1c is now down to 6 and for the first time in 40 years I feel that I am in charge :grinning:. Just when I need help it seems to be there waiting for me.

3 Likes

i love stories like yours. i always try to see the glass as half full rather than half empty. :blush:

2 Likes

Same here, test tape and animal insulins